Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Golf cart appears dead battery tests\s. at 37 volts. shift…

Customer Question
Golf cart appears dead...

Golf cart appears dead battery tests\s. at 37 volts. shift into reverse and there is no buzzer until I step on accelerator ped del, then the buzzer sounds. The head lights and tail lights work, It is a 1092 club cart

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

What bulbs to check

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Golf?

1992

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Golf yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it myself. I cleaned all battery cables and batteries test about 37 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

It worked fine until I cleaned corrosion from battery area. I am sure that I got it connected as it was

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question has to do with my 1992 electric golf cart. It is a golf cart
3/1/2021
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

36 volt cart? Does the voltage at the battery pack drop off when you press the pedal? Does the charger come on when attached? What is the voltage at each battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Charger is external and appears nornal

So charger works. Then what are the voltage readings? a 36-volt battery pack fully charged will be close to 39 volts, and will not drop below 36 volts under load.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 37 volts. Head lights and tail lights appear normal

This is a 36 volt cart? Lights use very little voltage. What does each battery show for voltage? Does the battery drop when you push on the pedal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery voltage does not drop when pedal is pushed

Go back and pull on each cable, to see that it is solid, and not corroded and pulls apart. Seems like this has to be related to the battery cables you cleaned. Also, check each connection for being tight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have removed and cleaned all battery cables Each terminal is cleaned and tightened. I agree that it acts like a loose cable. The battery pack measures about 37 volts from pod to ground. Could there be a fuse somewhere that explains it

If the main fuse was blown, you would not have anything to the key. But in the battery area, behind the driver, is a plastic box with a large fuse in it, the cover has two screws that need to be removed, or test the wires on each end for continuity, showing the fuse is good.