Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

EZgo gas 2002 TXT golf cart wont spark. Orange wire on

Customer Question
EZgo gas 2002 TXT...

EZgo gas 2002 TXT golf cart wont spark. Orange wire on ignitor is loose. Where is it supposed to go?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your golf cart? How old is it?

It's an EZ go TXT year 2002.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your golf cart? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the solenoid and missed connecting the orange wire on the ignitor. now there is no spark. I think the orange wire is the culprit and need to know if it connects to a positive or ground terminal on the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can I fry the ignitor if I connect to the wrong terminal? Based on the length of wire it looks like it connects to the positive. There is already a black wire coming from the ignitor that is bolted to the frame.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
7/26/2020
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Here is the duagram

Curtis, that diagram does not show an orange wire coming off the ignitor.Why should I pay more when the initial response doesn't answer my questionCurtis, I am looking for where the ORANGE wire connectsI already have that diagram.

Do you have an orange and a red wire?

Igniter only has two wires that go to the solenoid side, red and a black white.??

Yes??

Igniter has 5 wires, look at there position. Three go to the coils.

The red wire is connected to the positive small terminal and the black/white is connected to the frame.

So where is the orange wire coming from, the igniter?

Hang on while I go out to my garage and look at the arrangement directly instead of working from memory.

OK>

It's really tight in there, but I seea black wire and a red/white wire coming to a connector that fastens to the wiring harness.

Orange will not be ground, so if it came off the solenoid, it would be on the positive side. Black and red and white go to the Pulsar coil under te flywheel.

Then there is a black/white wire that is fastened to the mounting bolt for the ignitor (ground) then an orange wire that is not connected, but has a female plug connector with a blade inserted that has a round screw terminal connector.When I connect the orange to the positive side of mythe small solenoid terminals, the solenoid won't fire. When I disconnect the orange wire, the solenoid fires, but no spark.

Where is the orange wire coming from? Maybe the footswitch when you press pedal, or does it start with key, not foot pedal? Orange ware has to be an added wire to replace another color.

Orange wire (actually orange/white now that I look closer) is coming directly from the ignitor black enclosure

You attached it to the small wires on the solenoid, it should go on the positive battery cable terminal. It is not te original OEM igniter.

It is the ignitor that came on the cart. The orange wire is only long enough to reach the solenoid terminals

It would reach the positive cable terminal on the solenoid? It sure doesn't go on the small terminals.

The small terminals are to close the solenoid for start, nothing else.

When I installed the new solenoid, I could not see the orange wire. I found it only by feeling around under the new solenoid.

Was there a plug on the terminal on the old solenoid that had a eye big enough to go on the battery cable terminal?

No.

So it may not have been connected.??

The orange wire has a plug in blade with a round screw fitting the same size as the other wires on the solenoid terminal

No wires would go to the small terminals on the solenoid from the igniter.

I cant say for sure that the orange wire was connected to the old solenoid, but prior to the solenoid failing to click, the cart ran fine. Since the only area I worked in was around the solenoid, I assumed that I missed connecting a critical wire. Finding the orange wire loose and very difficult to visualize, I figured it was the culprit.

Where do you have the red wire? With the battery cable?

I'll have to go double check. I only removed wires to the solenoid. Its 90 in my garage, so I came back inside to the a.c.Be right backRed wire from multi wire connector fastens to positive terminal on solenoidI am certain that the red wire is back where it was originally.

OK>Thats where it should be.

Do you know the function of the orange wire?

NO

Is there any identification on the terminals on the top of the igniter?

I don't see anything next to the wires. There is writing on the ignitor housing, but I believe it is manufacturer, model information, etc.

Yes, that's all I found, and none showed instructions!