Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

When I step on the go pedal it does nothing. Batteries are…

Customer Question
When I step on...

When I step on the go pedal it does nothing. Batteries are fully charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes, when I test the batteries the voltage goes incrementally higher on each battery and no they're not leaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It's an EZGO, serial number 904292. Manufacturing code J3195. I believe its a 1995, don't have any documents as I bought it used from a family member

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, tested the batteries, trying to find the maintenance switch but not sure where it is. Also saw online that there's a reset on the motor, going to try to find it. It's up on jackstands in my garage now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Both sides of the solenoid are showing voltage, right around 6v.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
Just answer sent me this number, are you a golf cart mechanic?
7/19/2020
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

It is a 1995 model, with a 36 volts cart, the solenoid has to have 36 volts to it. Do you get any indication that the key switch has 36 volts? When did the cart last run? Will the charger come on and show to be charging when attached to the cart?

It ran last summer. I have 6.1 volts at the back of the key switch, 6.1 and 4.8 volts on each side of the solenoid. The cart is charging, LED dash indicator responds properly as batteries are charged.When I check battery voltage it increases incrementally on each battery, battery 1 shows 6.3 volts. Battery 6 shows 36.9 volts.

You are not getting 36 volts to the key switch and solenoid. Has to be 36 volts/

Ok
I read online that there's supposed to be a maintenance switch for troubleshooting. Also a reset switch on the main motor. Can you tell me where they're located and if I need a use them?I cleaned all of the battery terminals, now have 36.9 at the switch, 37.1 at the solenoid

There is no reset on the motor. There may be a run /tow switch, but it would be on the cover over the controller or inside the battery pack area.

Got it going, I found some wires that a critter chewed through, reconnected them and good to go. Thanks for your help!

Good job!