Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

2017 EZ GO RXV after full charge cart will go 5.53 miles and…

2017 EZ GO RXV...

2017 EZ GO RXV after full charge cart will go 5.53 miles and charge indicator shows half charge and cart starts slowing down. Took cart in for warranty work/check they says battery's check out good and that warranty doesn't cover labor to check electrical system and they charge $90.00 and hour. I'm a little upset they want to charge to check out cart when it's not yet a year old, they warranty doesn't cover labor so that why I'm asking for possible causes so that maybe I can diagnose with your help

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No not that I recall. It's also has water system. I'll be check the battery's with a hydrometer when I get cart back because they are saying their battery test machine say battery's are good and nothing about condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

EZ GO Freedom RVX 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've only tested batterys after complete charge 8.43 volts after full charge and let set over night before checking, they drop down to 8.14 volts after 5+ miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

He probably know this but cart is AC. Thank you Dennis

6/29/2018
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 4 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Wha is the battery pack after charge? A 48-volt pack should be close to 54 volts. If not the charger may not be fully charging the batteries.

53.4

So battery pack shows to be fully charged. So cart slows after 5 or 6 miles. What does cart range show to be?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Owner's manual doesn't say, 10 to 12 miles average Is what I read on the Internet but in my area people with the same cart are going 23 miles from their house, play run of golf back and home twice and have half of a charge left.
Phone call session started

Thank you Dennis!

Curtis just picked up cart yesterday, and have on charger. once it has charged I will check voltage and check water with hydrometer and report my finding. Question on this 2017 model when plugging in charger it flashes colors, green / red and if I recall the tech at cart shop said it should flash green and yellow and that green and red meant something was wrong. They checked the charger by plugging it into the wall and said it was ok, don't know what else they did to check it wasn't there to watch or ask what they where doing. could you give me an answer on what the lights mean on the charger when it's first plugged in? 2017 EZ GO Freedom RXV
Thank you Dennis

What is the charger model?

Delta-Q SC-48 #919-4810

Geen and red indicate a fault, and likely is not charging. What is the battery pack voltage before plugging in the charger and while the charger is plugged in?

Didn't check voltage before I plugged it in all I can tell you is that it was just above the 3/4 charged mark. I'm going to unplug the charger and it's been charging since last night about 10pm. I'll wait for your response before I do anything in case you want me to do some tests before I unplug.

no, check voltage now, then unplug charger and test again.

50.3 plugged in but charging done. battery readings 8.41 - 8.37 - 8.41 - 8.40 - 8.41 - 8.36. hydrometer test all cells good. Plugged charger back in and let it stabilize 58.9

So it is charging, but battery pack low at 50.3 volts. Fully charged, I would expect 54 volts.

would you say charger? Or what direction should I go?

How long will charge run before it cuts off? Keep it charging, and see if pack voltage is increasing.

Just turned off 54.6 volts 10:14 ----- 53.1 volts at 10:20 ----- 52.5 volts at 10:25 ----- 52.0 volts at 10:36 ----- 51.7 volts at 10:48 ----- 51.5 volts at 11:04 ----- 51.3 volts at 11:16. Sorry it took so long to get back but as you can see the voltage drop over 3 volts in an hour. Any thoughts ?

Anything on? Seems odd it would drop that much. Try it again, and when it has stopped, remove the negative cable and check the voltage with no load of any kind. See if it is still dropping.

Recharged 54.3 volts at 12:55pm disconnected negative cable ----- 2:01pm 51.7 volts. I did notice a slight sulfur smell when I was disconnecting charger and negative cable.

So how long did the charger run on this last charge cycle?

About 30 minutes.

Problem is the charger is not staying on long enough to deep charge the batteries, All you are getting is a surface charge.

Just went to hook battery back up, when I put the ground wire for battery on all was good, then I went to put another wire that was hooked to negative got a good spark, the other two wires that also go there when touched to terminal did nothing. Any thoughts? Wanted to recharge again and watch how long before charger shuts off. Also checked battery again and had dropped another .2 to 51.5

Not unusual to get some spark, there are resistors that charge each time the cables are connected.

sparks seemed more than what I see on cars, but this is a lot more volts. Anyway recharged battery's again and the charger went off after 26mins maybe a little less and this time I was hearing the battery's bubble. 53.7 volts this time. So then should I explain every thing that we did to diagnose this being a bad charger or is there a simpler way to tell them the charger is bad?Also I have a friend that has the same cart and I think it's a 2015 or 2016, will his charger work on this cart? Or does it have to be the same exact model #

As long as it has the same connection and same voltage, it will work.

Curtis
Thank you so very much for your time and knowledge I really appreciate the fact that you stayed in touch with me though all of this. I will borrow my friends and let you know the out come which after all he diagnose you did will show that it is the charger. Thanks again and have a great and safe 4th of July.
Thank you Dennis

Thanks, ***** ***** like to know how the other charger works.

Hi Curtis this is Dennis with the 2017 EZ GO. just got back from my friends house his charger does the same thing red and green lights flash 6 times at the start. his battery's where at 50.7 volts and had been on charger for a few days. I'm totally lost now. These battery's don't have a memory and need to be discharged completely and relearn because Mike (the owner) just used it on short runs show people RV's and I'm running it up and down hills and on long drives. This is what some people are saying.
Thanks Dennis

There is some substance to that, that battery needs to be discharged and recharged multiple times before they get the maximum charge and range. Is the range increasing?

It seems to be. I'll take it for a long ride again and track mileage and get back to you. Won't be till tomorrow.

OK>

Wow drove 10.69 miles hard up hills and down hills full throttle all the time. When I got home battery meter was at half full charge, turned off and parked for maybe 5 minutes while I moved stuff around turn key on and battery meter was at 3/4 full. Voltage was at 50.4 before I took off and was at 49.8 when I checked after parking. Not sure but I'm thinking that because I drove so hard nonstop, it recovered when I let it set for 5 minutes. Any thoughts?

Batteries always recover to some extent after you stop the cart. You could run them till cart quits, then let it sit for 15 minutes and drive it again! I would say that the cart and batteries are ok!