Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

It seems to slow down after running for a few min. 2003 club…

Customer Question
It seems to slow...

It seems to slow down after running for a few min.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2003 club cart

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just started doing this

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes to both

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
3/26/2018
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 29 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Can you please define slow down after running for a few minutes? Do you mean the engine begins to lack power and struggle accelerating?Do you have an OBD2 scan tool that you could get fault codes from memory for me with? I need the fault code numbers themselves not the descriptions of the fault codes from the scan tool as those are generic and you are given the same recommendations regardless of make and model.Also it would be helpful if you use a scan tool capable of real time sensor values and you got me the mass airflow sensor reading at idle and at 2000 RPM while the vehicle is stationary.The most likely cause of this issue is a failing fuel pump or a mass airflow sensor that is reading incorrectly. If it is the MAF, the delay in power loss would be happening because until the oxygen sensor heats up and comes online the engine control module doesn't know that the air fuel ratio is incorrect and so it can't compensate.More than likely however, the fuel pump is heating up and can't maintain the necessary flow and pressure.If that is the case when you look up the fuel trims with the scan tool you will see that at idle the fuel trims are close to zero but at 2000 RPM it's adding at least five or 10% more fuel than the initial calculations are calling for.If the fuel pump is faulty you're going to want to replace the pump, filter, and the fuel pump relay because the fuel pump relay will often be damaged by the excessive amperage draw caused by the failing fuel pump.The fuel pump relay supplies power to the fuel injectors and the sensors and engine bay and so when it's damaged and IT supplies poor voltage supply to the different sensors in the engine bay, throws their signals off, and then down the line it often fails completely leaving you stranded or killing your new fuel pump.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way the site will compensate me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.Please let me know the mass airflow sensor readings I asked for, the fuel trims, and any fault code numbers in memory if you need further assistance diagnosing this issue.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I quesrion was about a club cart, electric golf caer not a gas mini. So none of the answer fits my cart.
The site classified it wrong I'll opt out
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 29 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Let me try to help. Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery pack voltage and each battery? How old are the batteries? Does the charger run around 8 hours before it shuts off?

Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 24 days ago

I see the question is still open.??

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other