Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Well, when I press the accelerator on my ezgo txt electric…

Well, when I press...

Well, when I press the accelerator on my ezgo txt electric golf cart, I hear something spinning in the rear. Almost like a slipping transmission or something. While it is spinning the cart will not engage. If press the accelerator further the cart will begin to move. Also it is much slower than it was.

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

It started this week.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

EZGO 48 volt TXT 4 seater. Maybe 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

Where do I look?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Nothing.

3/23/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Thank you

Raise the rear of the cart, or at least one wheel at a time. and turn the wheel to see if the axle is slipping. Check both sides, If the axle splines are not slipping, the drive motor coupler, between the drive motor and the transmission is stripped out. Drive motor would have to be removed to check the coupler.

Oh. Okay.

Let me know the results.

I thought an electric cart did not have a transmission?

It has a gearbox/rear end, which I call transmission.

Oh. Okay. That makes since.

The axle shafts are splined, and the drive motor connection is splined. One of them is slipping.

Ah. Got it.

OK, let me know.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other