Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

2001 club car golf cart idles but only creeps slowly in

Customer Question
2001 club car golf...

2001 club car golf cart idles but only creeps slowly in reverse and forward. It had been driven in the snow so I am sure moisture got in.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

Not sure of the miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

It is a 2001 gas club car golf cart

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. testing the battery only

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
3/22/2018
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 28 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Yo say it only idles, I suspect the starter is all that is driving the cart, the engine is not starting. Have you replaced spark plug and verified that the carburetor has fuel to it?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
spark plug is fine. have not checked for fuel in the carburetor. how do i do that?

You would have to remove the fuel line from the carburetor and crank engine and watch for fuel flowing. Do you have an electric fuel pump or the original pulse pump?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
original

OK> check the fuel flow at the carburetor.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Fuel flow is fine.

You said spark plug is fine? Do you have spark when cranking? What is the engine model number? SIngle cylinder or twin engine?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
the spark plug is fine and yes it sparks when cranking. Kawasaki FE290D516585 and i don't know, i think single.

SIngle cylinder, and if it has spark and fuel to the cylinder, it should run, unless it has lost compression or the valves are not working.

I would try putting a teaspoon of fuel directly into the spark plug hole, re-installing the spark plug and see if it will start for a few seconds. If it does and then dies, the carburetor is not passing the fuel to the cylinder.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
engine runs but the clutch still wont engage the drive belt
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 27 days ago

Clutch will not engage unless the engine revs up. Is engine rpm coming up?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No the rpm is not coming up.

If you manually work the throttle at the carburetor will it rev up? Put cart on jack stands to test.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How would we do that?

With a jack and two jack stands, to get wheels off the ground. Hard to work engine controls if the cart is trying to move. Usually, when cart will just putt around, the engine is just running off the starter and is not starting. Are you sure engine is running? If it is, the carburetor linkage may not be opening the throttle plate in the carburetor.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
how do we manually work the throttle at the carburetor?

Press the accelerator pedal, and see what moves at he carburetor, then work it at the carburetor by hand. Look in the carburetor throat and see if the butterfly on the throttle shaft is attached and moving.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
taking a break for the night...

OK>

Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 23 days ago

I see the question is still open.??

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I tried everything but cannot get it to move

If the engine is revving up and the drive clutch does not engage the belt, the drive clutch can be bad.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other