Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Have an electric 36v EZGo cart that intermittantly will stop…

Have an electric 36v...

Have an electric 36v EZGo cart that intermittantly will stop running while going forward. I'll have to turn the cart off with the key, put the forward/reverse toggle in neutral position and then turn the key on and put switch back into forward and then it will run again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Dont think we are talking about the same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Not a car golf cart

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your electric?

2007 EZGO 36v

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. Wondering if it could be solenoid or forward and reverse switch

3/17/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Does reverse ever quit or just forward? You would have to swap the f/r wires n the f/r switch to test the switch. And yes, it can b a bad switch. Solenoid not so likely, as it would affect both forward and reverse.

the assembly is a bit different than what i have seen online. I opened the seat and next to the tow/run switch, there is no forward /reverse switch mounted like i have seen online. So i popped the two push in rivets on the dash exposing the back of the key ignition and the forward/reverse toggle switch. There is also behind there a small round black part that says"48v20060306". The cart will basically just lose power at random times when running. When it loses power i can turn the key switch to the off position, put the toggle switch on the dash in neutral and then press the gas and it will run again. Reverse never has had an issue, just when driving forward

If it just dies out, it can be the solenoid, turning the key on and off, lets the solenoid reclose.

When it cuts power off while driving, it beeps (kinda like if the cart is off and starts to roll down a hill) then the brakes start to grab also. Odd that it will then work again when the key is in off position and switch in neutral which is what has be more confused about it

That would make me think the solenoid is sticking.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
good deal. i'll change that out and try it. Do you know from the pics if you cart is a solid state with controller or if it has a resistor?
if my cart*

2007 is a solid state, no resistor.

thank you. i'll order the part and give it a try.

OK> Thanks, ***** ***** the 5-star rating system to close the question and get me credit when satisfied.