Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 1992 EZgo Marathon 36V electric. Started

slowing/stopping intermittently while driving. Releasing...
I have a 1992 EZgo Marathon 36V electric. Started slowing/stopping intermittently while driving. Releasing accelerator and re-depressing would resume normal driving. Got progressively worse, especially under a load, such as driving up hill. Feathering accelerator would often help. Now cart is undriveable, pressing accelerator yields a short burst then nothing. One technician said it was a bad "can" motor, cannot replace, save the batteries and get a new cart. Another tech said replace the potentiometer; no change. Batteries 1 year old, have been load tested and are good. Replaced the solenoid; no change. Only things left seem to be the motor and/or motor speed controller. The cart's work utility is greater than the cost of parts, but do not want it to become a bottomless pit. Any thoughts? thanks! Lee
2/22/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

the charger comes on and shows to charge when attached to cart? With a voltmeter, do you have 36 volts to both sides of the solenoid, and to both A terminals of the drive motor?

Troubleshooting chart.

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals

Did you run test on the drive motor?

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?

No, we can keep this pen as long as necessary and no added charge. Just use the link in the email to get back here.

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?will do-and thanks! Lee

Not sure what a can motor would be! Sounds like whoever came up with that, wanted to sell you another cart!

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?will do-and thanks! Leei think this is me https://www.cartaholics.com/forum/resources/ezgo-marathon-wiring-diagram-controller.122/

OK, the only difference is the controller connections. What is your controller number? Not a 1206 Curtis?

Have you a potentiometer at foot pedal and not an ITS control?

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?will do-and thanks! Leei think this is me https://www.cartaholics.com/forum/resources/ezgo-marathon-wiring-diagram-controller.122/I think it is the original controller-not sure if Curtis or... potentiometer is connected by series of rods-not directly at the pedal-not sure what that would be called
to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?will do-and thanks! Leei think this is me https://www.cartaholics.com/forum/resources/ezgo-marathon-wiring-diagram-controller.122/I think it is the original controller-not sure if Curtis or... potentiometer is connected by series of rods-not directly at the pedal-not sure what that would be calledPOTENTIOMETER ASSY EZGO Old Item # SP27094-G01

They are just connections instead of cables. Check the voltages when you get the chance, and if all the voltages are correct, see if the voltage varies from controller to the S or F terminals on the drive motor, as this is the speed control Motor voltage has to vary with the pedal through the controller.

to charger, replaced solenoid and brushes in motor, have not tested across A terminals . Cart is 11/2 hours away, will test/troubleshoot and followup. is there a time limit on this session?will do-and thanks! Leei think this is me https://www.cartaholics.com/forum/resources/ezgo-marathon-wiring-diagram-controller.122/I think it is the original controller-not sure if Curtis or... potentiometer is connected by series of rods-not directly at the pedal-not sure what that would be calledPOTENTIOMETER ASSY EZGO Old Item # SP27094-G01will do-not much more I can do now, will check and advise-thanks, Lee

OK> Thanks!

I see the question is still open.???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the cart is 1 1/2 hours away from me. I will try the tests suggested in the links you provided when I can get to the cart. I will let you know what I find out, not sure when that will be, but hopefully soon, thanks, Lee

OK> Thanks for reply,

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other