Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

My cart quit working while on the golf course. You could…

Customer Question
My cart quit working...

My cart quit working while on the golf course. You could here a click of the selinoid, but not even a hint of movement forward or back. I found I had a wire to the forward/reverse switch burn completely through which I replaced with a new wire and checked the rest to make sure they were ok. Had to replace the copper stud for that line and it went to the motor from the selector switch. After I replaced it still did not move and only clicked, then the click stopped. I checked the selinoid and found it had failed so I replaced the selinoid. Still nothing, not even a click. Reading the schematic I saw where there is a switch someplace that makes sure the cart will not move if plugged in and that the connector corrode so you need to brush them off so that the cart knows it’s not plugged in. Can not find that on my cart, so I am stumped. Got good power 36volts, got power going to the speed control and 36 volts returning to the bottom terminal on the forward/reverse selector, but the rest confuses me. Seeing 15 volts on the middle connectors of that switch and 24 on the top. Seeing 15 volts on two of the motor terminals and varying 36,24,and 15 volts at the speed controller with one terminal that registers voltage on time and then nothing the next. So wonder if the speed control got fried as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?

No, I can not find a fuse panel only one inline fuse on a black wire going to the main battery. I have a 1996 EZGO metalist

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Golf cart 1996 EZGO Metalist

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced burn through wire on the forward/reverse switch and the selinoid.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
1/30/2018
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

If cart is plugged in now, does the charger come on? Charger tests the primary circuit and if it does not come on, you have a cable or battery problem. Do you have 36 volts to the key switch? That is where the reed switch n he charger plug has to power when the cart is unplugged. Here is a basic troubleshooting site.

All voltages should be full battery voltage with the exception of the For S terminals on the drive motor,

If charge the cart when I got home before finding the burnt wire. Thought I had run the battery down. It started to charge and then shut off, same thing agai and on the third attempt it charge all day. Still nothing after charge then I found the burnt wire on the forward/reverse switch. It had burnt the wire all the way off and damaged the copper stud. Replaced stud and wire. Got just a click still. Checked the selling with a meter and found selinoid failed. Replaced it. Still nothing.
It’s too dark to do much more tonight can we continue this in the AM?

Yes, I will be here 8:00 am central.

Look folks,You provided a suggestion that requires actions by the individual to see if your suggestions were anywhere close to working. Troubling shooting an electrical system for an individual not a business takes more than a couple hours even a couple days. I will rate this once I have completed the suggestions provided, not before. Some of the issues is also that it seems as I read over the material provided it doesn’t relate well to the year or model that I have and asked about. I am trying to compare the models listed to what mine is to see if any of the troubleshooting instructions are even close enough to use. They may not be, seems the trouble shooting material is more for the model years 2000 and above not 1995.Ron Coppinger

I realize that it is a time-consuming effort. But Ezgo changes very little from year t year. The important thing is first to be sure the charger comes on and does show to charge the battery pack. The charger makes a check of the primary circuit, the battery cables and batteries, and the connections from and back to the charger. If the charger does not come on, then the primary circuit is the problem. If the charger is on, then check the key switch for battery voltage, as the key switch has to send the voltage to the foot switch, and then to the solenoid and controller.