Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 2014 Gem E4 that runs after it has been charged.

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 2014 Gem E4 that runs after it has been charged. However, once the key has been removed it will no longer run unless it is reconnected to the battery charger....Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I have not had a chance...this one is down in Puerto Rico

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2014 Gem E4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I haven't yet...I am trying to figure out what parts to ship down there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
Answered in 2 days by:
1/8/2018
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 6 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

This is a 72-volt unit, and you do need a test digital voltmeter to test the battery voltages. Are these the original batteries? They are 4 years old if they are, and, you can have one battery that is breaking down, causing the fault. Need to check pack voltage after charging, and each battery and record the readings, then drive the car and remove the key and see if it will drive, If not, check battery pack and each battery again. If not a battery problem, may be a controller that needs to be checked or replaced. More times than not, it will be a battery issue.

I see the question is still open.??