Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I was running the cart this weekend with my grand kids, and…

I was running the...

I was running the cart this weekend with my grand kids, and it suddenly stopped moving. It would barely move when the peddle was pressed. I've checked and replaced the batteries, so I'm getting plenty of voltage. I also noticed the motor was giving off some heat. I've recently replaced the solenoid and directional switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Its and electric cart, 36volt 2000 Club car.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Not sure of the model, I think it's an "A", per the VIN. 2000 Club car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to. Just tested the batteries only.

12/28/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Does the cart roll free or could the brakes be locking? Raise rear end and see if you can manually turn both rear wheels.

Cart rolls free. I can push the cart around.

OK, if you plug in the charger does it come on? Do you have a voltmeter to see f you have 36 volts to the drive motor?

the charger does come on and I believe all the batteries are charged.. I've checked all the batteries with a voltmeter (4 are new, 2 were just replaced 2 months ago) and all have 6+ volts.
The cart will move only slightly when the peddle is pressed. I haven't checked the motor to see if it's receiving full voltage.

All batteries should have 6 + volts if fully charged, and should not drop when the pedal is pressed. Same with battery pack, fully charged would be around 39 volts and would drop very little when the drive is engaged. Sounds like a low voltage problem.

Ok, So if the batteries are fully charged, where are losing the voltage?

I think you will find a bad battery or a bad cable in the primary circuit.

OK, I don't believe its a battery or a cable since the batteries are new. Cables were cleaned and inspected when i replaced the batteries. I also tested the batteries under load and had very little voltage drop.
Let's say its not the batteries or cable, what would be next?

Check the voltage to the drive motor, It is possible the drive motor needs brushes.

OK, one more thing that may help.
I noticed one of my grand kids was stepping on the pedal and the brake at the same time.
Afterwards, the pedal was sticking in the full on position and i had to reach down and pull the pedal up to stop the cart.
Shortly afterwards, it stopped working.
Any thoughts? Speed switch?
also, how do i test to see if it is indeed the brushes?

Could be the speed switch, MCOR on club Car, Or it could have moved, it acts as a rheostat.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Curtis,
Unfortunately, your advice was pretty general in nature and not specific enough for me to diagnose the problem. It's fairly common knowledge that the first thing you check is the batteries. It would be helpful if there was a systematic way of testing the balance of the system to at least narrow down the possibilities. As it turned out, I pulled the cover off of the V glide speed switch and discovered that the wiper arm had broken.

Good job. Did you see the troubleshooting guide I sent!

It wasn’t much help.
It did have some good info regarding the solenoid and it’s testing. Thanks.

Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other