Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 1998 Club Car that batteries have been replaced…

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Club Car that batteries have been replaced with new during Oct of this year. Ran cart on course several times and tried to charge but charger would not engage (voltage was at 46V). Also tried to reboot on board computer (could not get the reverse horn to even sound). Never was able to have charger engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

When installing the new batteries used voltmeter and reading were 48V,after 36 + holes the batteries came down to 46V range,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

I have a manual for 1997 DS Electric S/N A9738-606311 and believe a Lester charger P/N 18800?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes had to rebuild battery support fram, also have had success with rebooting OBC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I going to try bypassing OBC to charge the batteries--we are located in Lyons, KS. Cold weather forcasted, very cold temperatures

12/22/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Do you have battery pack voltage tot he charger port on the cart? If not, the charger will not close the internal relay to start charging. If you do, the OBC is likely the issue, and bypassing it will let charger work, you will just have to not leave the charger on for extended lengths of time, about 10 hours should be maximum.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Thanks for your help—I now believe the problem is with the charger
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other