Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have Clubcar Precedent serial #PQ0816-896988. For quite…

Customer Question
I have Clubcar Precedent...

I have Clubcar Precedent serial #PQ0816-896988. For quite along time to get the cart to move I had to rock the forward reverse switch for a bit before the reverse buzzer would come on then it would work fine all day. Recently it got so bad that it took about a minute for the buzzer to come on after constantly rocking it back and forth. A tech said try changing the switch! I did and it seemed fine. After sitting for awhile the same problem reappeared. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Clubcar precedent #PQ0816-896988

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your electric?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the forward reverse swith

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It has regenerative braking it has 4 12 volt batteries they are new

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

This is not a battery problem

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
12/18/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Does it act up in forward and reverse, or just reverse? This is the f/r switch on the dash, not the big manual switch, behind the knee? The directional change is made at the controller, so if the f/r switch is ok, the problem is going to be the controller, or the wires from the f/r switch to the controller.

I see the question is still open.???

It does not act up at all when it decides to run. The f/r switch is not dash mounted, it is the same type though a simple three wire rocker switch that is mounted near the charger receptacle. What happens if the cart has not been used for awhile is it will not run at all. Turn the key on and nothing. If you then rock the switch rapidly back and forth from forward to reverse in time the cart will run. The reverse safety buzzer will come on after rocking the switch for a time, it is then you know the cart will run. That I hope is a clear explanation.

And this is the f/r switch that you replaced? This is typical f/r switch bad. ??? It has mechanical contacts and it is all that makes the directional change and the connections for the drive. Are the cables from the battery pack to the f/r switch all good, not corroded or having a bad connection?