Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Need help with a 2011 gas club car. Club car won't start.

Customer Question
Need help with a...

Need help with a 2011 gas club car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Club car won't start. Voltage on solenoid pole going to the starter generator drops to 10.2 volts when the solenoid is energized (12.65 battery voltage being supplied to the hot side of the solenoid). Cleaned the starter generator and replaced the brushes (old brushes were worn, one down to 0.7mm, which might have damaged field and/or armature windings of S-G, even though there is zero-ohm continuity on all windings).

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2011 Club Car Gas AG-1146.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

(Trying to) Fix myself. Checked entire electrical circuit including all micro-switches, key (on-off) switch. Cleaned all ground wires. Cleaned starter-generator and replaced brushes. Replaced solenoid (problem is identical with either the old or new solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. As explained earlier, the voltage drops from 12.65 vdc to 10.2 vdc across the solenoid when the wire is connected to the starter-generator F2; voltage is 12.65 when the wire to F2 is not connected.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
Hello? Physical symptom(s). If solenoid is not connected to F2, get a crisp click from (either) solenoid when it is energized. With solenoid connected to start-gen F2, solenoid produces a ratcheting sound, as if it is intermittently turning on/off.
I have printed schematics of the electrical circuits and have verified wiring is correct. I have inspected all wires, looking for missing insulation, breaks, crimps, poor connections, etc. Also tried with voltage regulator disconnected from the circuits (including disconnecting wire on start-gen DF going to the volt-reg, and connected DF to ground). No joy.
12/1/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

The field is where the solenoid output has to go. Will the starter /generator belt off, will it motor if you go directly to the field from the battery? ou ay you get a ratcheting solenoid, from all I know, anytime there is the ratcheting noise, there is low voltage problem. Battery or cables!

Connected Batt+ direct to F2 - nothing.
I'd rather type than talk. I am fairly convinced there is a problem with the starter-generator. Hoping their might be a test I could do to see if their is a short or other issue inside it, either in the field windings or the armature (rotor) windings. As I wrote earlier, the old brushes were very worn, and could have caused damage. Inside of starter-generator was full of carbon dust before I cleaned it.
Battery is new and is holding charge. Have inspected all cables and checked continuity with a meter.

If you go directly to the starter/generator from the battery will it engage?

If you go directly to the starter/generator from the battery will it engage? No. Went direct from Batt+ to F2 (as I wrote moments ago); no engagement.

So your starter/genertor is bad.

That's what I suspect. Other than taking it apart and checking continuity of field windings and rotor (armature) windings and poles, is there anything else I could check?

The generator/start should motor when the battery voltage is applied to the field. If it doesn't it is bad.