Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 2014 gas power Smart car. The car has no power. I…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 gas power Smart car. The car has no power. I checked the voltage on the battery which read 3.4 volts and I charged it up over night. Full charge on the battery, but I have not power whatsoever. What are my options beyond towing it over 100 miles to the closet Smart car dealer? I don't have a way to load test the battery, but if I get a new battery will the car start or is there something in the computer system of the car that will prevent me from starting it? I ask because I don't want to spend money on a battery that will not resolve my issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 smart?

Four two

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Normally no, but I am able to do a lot of simple things. So far I have trickle charged the battery to get it to read 14 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not that I can think of at this time.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
11/29/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 7 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

The battery is likely the problem, is it the original? 2014 battery is 4 years old. and with it being down to less than 4 volts, it likely drops down when you try to start it. Watch battery voltage when you turn on key and lights. If it drops below 8 volts, it is no good.

Okay the battery is charged to 12.7 volts, when I put the key in to the start position, I get the dash lights up and it gives me 3 beeps, the dash shows 3 dashed lines on the display, but it won't turnover. The volt meter reads 12.6 volts in the start position but nothing will crank. Could it be the starter? Or is there something tied to the vehicle computer system that needs to be reset?
Given the darkness outside, I won't have time during daylight hours to talk via a phone line. DO you have any options I can try when I get home tomorrow night?

More likely the transmission neutral switch is not completing the start circuit. Can you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump from the cable terminal to the single small switch terminal, to see if the starter will engage? A quick test of the battery, cables, and the starter solenoid and starter. Have you disconnected the battery , to let the computer reset?

I will not be able to check your first question until the weekend when I have daylight. As to the 2nd question, no I did not disconnect the battery to let the computer reset. I will attempt both this weekend and send a response back then.

OK>

Hi, Is there a way to remove the battery without removing what looks to be a heat exchanger and housing?

I don't have access to the owners manual, do you have one, it would show battery removal.

The owner’s manual only says go to a smart car dealer for removal

Did you check battery voltage, and try unhooking the negative cable? The battery would only need to come out if you were to replace it.

The battery voltage did not drop., but I hooked the battery and pushed the car forward and back in reverse and it started. But I borrowed a load tester and it dropped below 10 volts, so I am replacing the battery. I go it out by removing some of the cowling covers and was able to flip the battery on its side so I did not have to remove the heat exchanger or its housing pates, but I did have to remove its covers, and disconnect the battery fuse cables. .

OK> Let me know if the new battery takes care of it.