Electric Vehicles

Electric Car Questions? Ask a Electric Car Mechanic Online.

Electric Vehicles

Charger charging for 5 minutes and cuts off. When I switch

Customer Question
the control to reverse and...
Charger charging for 5 minutes and cuts off. When I switch the control to reverse and back to forward will start charging but does it again. Had charger checked ag a rectifier replaced and batteries check goog. Can charge batteries individually with a convential charger and cart will run fine.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: 1999 club car
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Electric. 6 6 volt batteries.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: At first when charging batteries with a convential charger the far right batteries would peg out the needle on the charger. Switched the far left batteries with the center batteries and they seem to be charging fine now with he convential charger
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
11/15/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** battery that pegs charger when charged separately is most likely the cause. The cart charger gets overloaded and has an internal switch that will shut charging down when it senses an overload. I recommend replacing the one battery and retest to see if charger now doesn't shut off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had battery checked at Oreillys and checked good

When you put it on a charger separately again does it peg the charger?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Oreillys charged up both batteries for me.

Now that all the batteries are recharged fully can you hook up the main charger to see if it shuts down still?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
shuts down after about 3 minutes. Can move reverse switch to reverse and back to forward and will charge for another 3 minutes and shut off. No charge in batteries.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Batteries went completely dead when driving is when this problem started

The internal circuit cutout switch of the charger is bad or weak and will kick out when it overheats. I recommend replacing charger assembly if it cannot be repaired correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took the battery's and charger to golf cart mechanic and he replaced a rectifier in charger because was not putting out enough amps. Said charger and batteries were okay????
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He said I have a short?

I do not have wire diagram for this cart and will opt out so another expert can help you better. Please do not respond until another expert contacts you or it locks questions back to me. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61