Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 2013 36v star car. Ive been troubleshooting the…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 36v star car. Ive been troubleshooting the solenoid and now when I turn the key I seem to get no power to the front panel. I do get power to the speed controller. Cant see any loose wires. Do you have a method to isolate a bad ground? other ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent now. When the key is turned and the switch is in reverse the warning beep is low and fades to nothing I still get lights at the speed controller

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 electric?

Star

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

36 v

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced solenoid and speed controller. It was running great after then just up and died. The speed controller was giving a weld contact error so I replaced solenoid. A bit after is when the front panel died

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
11/13/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Bad connection or corroded wire. Trace back from the keyswitch, if you don't have full pack voltage to the key, to the source of keyswitch power. May be switch in the charger port.

Voltage at batteries 38.1 (36v system). At key switch 34.1v

Does cart run ? Does charger come on when attached to the cart? Does solenoid close, and then drop out?

Cart ran but died. Batteries charge fine
Solenoid is new but doesn’t close

Foot switch has to close the solenoid when it is pressed. Does foot switch have 36 volts? Everything points to a bad connection or a corroded wire.