Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

It has a whining noise and vibration and will not start

Customer Question
It has a whining...

It has a whining noise and vibration and will not start consistently. It is less than 1 year old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yep checked the connections, and also the voltage...battery has 12.75 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2016 EZGO Freedom TXT Gas model.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

The issue just began yesterday, so I checked the battery first and then looked at the start belt to make sure it was tight. It starts sporadically and then will slip and make a noise with vibration when under a load, riding it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The cart is brand new, always garaged, and well taken care of. Just want to know if there is something simple that I am missing before calling the dealer to repair.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
11/12/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Did you check the battery voltage when trying to crank? Battery voltage below 8 volts, would indicate a bad battery.