Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I own a 2000 EV Ford Ranger which quit taking a charge. I am…

Customer Question
I own a 2000...

I own a 2000 EV Ford Ranger which quit taking a charge. I am towing my truck to a mechanic today who is willing to work on fixing my problem. I would like to tell him how to safely disable the high voltage components. I was told once that by disconnecting the 12 volt battery would also disconnect the high voltage, is this true?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

That's not really what I'm asking. I was looking for a standard procedure used to disable the high voltage when servicing the EV Ranger. Is there a switch interrupting the voltage from the battery pack?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, like I said, I am towing my Ranger to a mechanic today who will be working on the charging problem. As you know there isn't any specific mechanical shop/ business specializing in the Ford EV Ranger. There's going to be a steep learning curve. I live in a rural community and finding anyone willing to even agree to work on my EV has been difficult. I stumbled on this sight while searching for an answer to safely working on the charging system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

For now just this one question thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
11/10/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

No, only way to disable the high battery voltage, is to remove the negative battery cable on the battery pack. You say it will not charge? Do you have close to the battery pack voltage to the charger connection on the Ranger? If not, charger is not going to come on.