Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

2005 48V Precedent has always (since purchasing 2 years ago)

2005 48V Precedent has...

2005 48V Precedent has always (since purchasing 2 years ago) had an occasional hesitation when the accelerator is pressed. Recently the situation has become worse and the cart may actually stop for a few seconds after traveling a few feet. Quite scary when crossing a road here in Viera, FL. Batteries are fully charged, three years old. Controller issue? Thanks, John

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Have not checked the voltage but can do. One battery has leaked for a while. Talked to someone at The Battery Boys in The Villages recently about the leakage and was told it is commonplace for batteries of this age. Should I check the battery voltage individually or across the bank?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 electric?

Precedent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything myself. Would prefer to do the work myself if I can pinpoint the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you...

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/16/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Check each battery and check battery pack voltage. 48 volt pack will be close to 54 volts fully charged. Do you have 4 , 12 volt batteries, or 6, 8 volt batteries. If batteries check out, the foot control would be the suspect. Called MCOR, motor control output regulator. It has to supply signal to controlled and to close the solenoid.

I'm seeing about 43 V across the 4 batteries but the cart was used a little after the last charge. Charging now and will check in the morning. Is there a way to check the MCOR?

Check each battery, your voltage is below what should e even after you have run batteries down. You may have one bad battery. Hear is link to test MCOR

The information in the link is for 2009 to 2011 Precedents. Same for my 2005?

Yes, test will be the same.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other