Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a gas powered club car that will not start, it turns…

Customer Question
I have a gas...

I have a gas powered club car that will not start, it turns over, we replaced all fuel related items, including a new carb, it will sort of run, backfires thru the carob too

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It's backfires thru the carb

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your electric?

1997 ds

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes new carb new fuel filters new fuel pumo

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think it's fuel related, I am thinking electrical, it does have spark

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
I have a gas powered club car golf cart that will not start, replaced the carburetor, fuel pump, all filters, new fuel, spark plug.
gets spark, has compression, it will sometimes run but not run properly, backfires thru the carburetor
9/25/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

may I have the model and serial please?

also you stated it has compression, did you check it with a gauge and if so what was the reading?

1997 DS Club Car
My son took the reading, I don't remember what it was
I am at work,
What time zone are u in?
I live in ct
I can send you a video of what it was doing
I can't get back home till after 6 tonight

illinois and that will work.

It may have to wait to tomorrow is that ok

oh yeah, there is no hurry on my end. whenever you can is fine :)

Quick question, how do they govern the speed, is it mechanical

most are , there is a pin on the throttle bracket you can see from the rear panel.

I checked the compression twice 175 both times I the put a few squirts of oil 200
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago

ok, next would be to check the leak down of the cylinder. at top dead center. also when cranking it can you feel air from the exhaust?

When it was running (badly) it was smoking thought the exhaust

ok, when you remove the spark plug is it wet at all?

ok, so we are getting fuel.

do this,

pinch off the fuel and drain the carb.

make sure its dry, install the spark plug, use some starter fluid to see if the engine will run.

that way we can eliminate the fuel system to the carb.

and work our way forward .

Ok thanks I will get back to u when I get home

ok.