Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Making a grinding noise and will not drive in reverse or…

Customer Question
Making a grinding noise...

Making a grinding noise and will not drive in reverse or forward...

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started after we backing out of the driveway. The car da begun to roll backwards and the wife hit the gas while it was rolling and it sound like something stripped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your electric?

2008 EZGO

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to try. This is the third time this has happened...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am going to look at it tomorrow night. The hurricane has kept me too busy look at it before

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
9/14/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Raise rear of cart if you have jack, and turn each wheel by hand and listen and feel for noise and if the opposite side wheel turns in opposite direction as wheel turned. If no noise and wheels turn in reverse directions, axle and wheel hubs are ok, and the noise is likley the coupler between the drive motor and the transmission. remove negative cable at he battery pack, and then slip drive motor back to examine the coupler.