Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

The charging light stays lit solid after charger has been…

Customer Question
The green charging light...

The green charging light stays lit solid after charger has been removed and the cart won't move at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The green cgargingblight where the charging cable goes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your electric?

2009 EZ Go

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried disconnecting batteries the reconnecting.. doesn't help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
7/30/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage on each battery? Does the charger come on and charge and run full cycle and turn off?

The batteries are fully charged....yes they were checked with voltmeter. The green charging light stays on after the charger is unplugged and the cart will no go forward or backwards

Does keyswitch have battery pack voltage? Does the solenoid close when you press the pedal? 36 volt or 48 volt?

It's 48 volt. I don't know the answer to the other 2 questions. Is there a certain part / relay/ switch that needs to be replaced ? The cart thinks that it's being charged even though it's not.
The voltage on the cart shows about 50

At the charger connection, is a reed switch, that id charger is plugged in, it kills power to the keyswitch. If this switch is still open, no power to key. and charge lite would still be on. Locate the switch and test it.

Where is the reed switch. Do you have a picture or can you find specific part name and number to order?

It is part of the receptical plug, see link below.

I still don't understand which part is the reed switch. Is there a specific part name and part number that we find to order?

It is the Enable Contact.

It comes with a new receptical.

I am trying to find that part online but can't. Is there a specific part name to find on amazon?

I only see the 36 volt model on amazon. You can locate the small wire on back of the plug on cart, and see if it has battery voltage. Or take wire and jumper it to the battery posiitve at the solenoid.

Does it need replacement of that entire part you sent link on ... or could it just be the reed switch power wise receptacle which I just found on amazon for about $30?

Does it look like your receptical?

No. Our receptacle is triangular. Does the whole receptacle need to be replaced if the charging works... just doesn't shut off green light or allow cart to move because killing power to key switch as you stated.

ts up to yu, you can rewire so keyswtch gets voltage from another source, and eliminate the wire and contact, or repair the contact.

Would this be the replacement part that would work as opposed to the entire receptacle?EZGO Golf Cart Powerwise Charger Receptacles Reed Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EJR2HU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ISJFzbPTKNCZR

That looks to be the part.

Wha
What I'm asking is would this part do the trick as opposed to the entire receptacle that you sent the link on?

If yours is damaged or not working, YES.

I asked the people who were helping fix the cart and they said they disconnected the part with the reed switch and the cart still didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Disconnecting didn't take care of the problem, with no voltage t the key switch. Does keyswitch have voltage? If not, cart is not going to run. Did disconnecting the part put out the green charge light?

The people working on my cart said that it doesn't have a reed switch. It's a 2009 Ezgo rxv

Dos it have 48 volts to the keyswitch?

it does

On RXV , the first thing that has to happen is the brake has to release/ Is brake releasing, it has to have at least 48 volts to work.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other