Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I do not think my cart is charging properly. The charger

Customer Question

I do not think my cart is charging properly. The charger charges at 3.5 to 4 amps and then shuts off. Works fine, but does not seem to hold a charge very long.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No I do not have a wiring plan. I did some maintenance work when the power cable to the batteries had completely corroded through. Replaced several cable on top and spliced a length of cable.
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: Its an electric Club Car, about 1985. More than that I do not know. What work I have done it has been through a shop in Blair, Nebraska.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to spot something simple, but have not been successful so far. I did take a voltage reading on the batteries after charging. All battteries read about 7.5 volts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's a good start.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

36 or 48 volt cart? 7.5 volts will be low battery if you have 6, 8 volt batteries. High if you have 6, 6 volt batteries! If batteries are low, charger should read much higher when plugged to cart, and slowly drop down to zero as batteries are charged. If not, the charger may be faulty, best test would be to try it on another cart. How old are the batteries? I over 5 years old, you are near the life of them.