Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

1994 ez gas golf cart runs well when the choke is engaged.

Customer Question

1994 ez gas golf cart runs well when the choke is engaged. Then when it is just throttled the clutch wont engage. It doesn't seem to be getting the rpms to engage the clutch when the choke isn't on
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model of your '94 electric?
Customer: Textron model #eh29c
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I removed the drive belt to check that and it was in bad shape, but not broken (just cracked in different places}
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: could that belt be causing the problem? one more thing, it happened all of a sudden. I was driving it and all of a sudden the clutch wouldn't engage by just using the throttle. Nothing unusual to that point.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Having to use choke to get extra fuel, would tell me the engine is starving for fuel. Fuel pump is not getting enough fuel from tank, through the filter , to pump, to carburetor. Or the carburetor is plugged with debris. Engine rpm has to be great enough to overcome the weights in the drive clutch, before it will kick out and grasp the drive belt. If rpm is ok, then you have a bad drive clutch.