Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

My EZ-Go cart looses power after about 5 minutes of running.

My EZ-Go cart looses...

My EZ-Go cart looses power after about 5 minutes of running. All batteries test good, high amp batteries. It's about 15 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I don't, but I can probably get one on line. The cart starts strong, then faints after just a little while.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 electric?

It's a an EX-Go Textron. I bought it from a friend and he didn't give me any papers. I think he said was an early 2,000 model. The serial Number is(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I may could fix it myself if I felt pretty sure I knew what was wrong, but I'm not that familiar with golf carts. The nearest place to me that I could find is in Houston, about an hours drive from me. I was going to haul it to Beaumont, and then found out they don't service EZ-Go.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The cart accelerates good, plenty power with hot batteries (which are not old). This has been coming on, for about a year, but is steadily getting worse.

2/26/2017
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Year model is on the passenger side glove book area, number letter combination. Last two numbers will be year model. 36 volt cart? What do batteries read before use? What is battery voltage when it starts to die out? Best to test each battery, Wih Ezgo, usually loss of power as you drive is bad battery or a bad cable in the main cable system.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
I found where the tag was but it's not there. It's a 36 volt cart. At full charge each battery is right at 13 volts ( 3, 12s). All together it reads 38 volts. I put a volt meter on it while I drove it and it started fainting at 29 volts. It will go a lot further at half throttle than full but it still wont go very far. This has been going on for about a year but is steadily getting worse. All 3 batteries charge up hot and test ok under load.

Dropping to 29 volts is a problem. This is a 36 volt cart, and should have 6, 6 volt batteries. The three 12's don't have the reserve the 6 volts deep cycle batteries do! You can use 12 volt batteries, but they need to be deep cycle, and high cold start amperage rating. As the battery voltage drops to 29 volts, the cart will slow, and this eventually can ruin the drive motor with low voltage, cause motor to over heat from the high amperage related to low voltage.

All 3 batteries are high amp deep cycle batteries, almost new because I was having this problem. The cart has been converted from 6, 6 volt batteries for about 3 years and did well for a long time. I'm beginning to believe that the motor needs to be rebuilt but didn't want to do that if something else was causing the problem.

Low voltage I doubt is a motor problem. Look for bad cable, that is overheating. Can be on batteries, controller or cable to motor. The battery voltage should not drop below 36 volts, and fully charged needs to be over 39 volts.

I will check those, but not tonight. I'm 70 years old, and had a long day. Have a good night. Thanks

70 here too, 71 next month, take your time!

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

I may have miss-led you about the batteries when I told you that voltage dropped to 29 volts. It only dropped the voltage when I was at full pedal. Voltage came back up once I backed off on throttle. I checked and cleaned all the wiring connections and found that one on the motor was a little loose. Not sloppy loose but definitely not tight. I checked it again and it definitely seems to be a little better. I haven't run it long enough at this point to see if it still pulls down early. These new batteries are 845 amp batteries (2535 total).

Voltage drop to 29 volts is still not what it should be. With good batteries, they should never drop below 36 volts, even with maximum load. ??

I'll have the batteries tested, one may be bad. That's totally possible these days.

With your voltmeter , check them as they sit, to see if all have same voltage.

I hope the problem is resolved. One of the batteries would not hold up under load. Since I was having problems with power before I bought batteries, I assumed that batteries weren't my problem. Time will tell but it seems that I have a lot more power now that I replace that bad battery.

OK> Good job. Thanks!

Thank you for the advice, you did a great job.

Thanks, ***** ***** but you make it happen!