Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

2011 ezgo rxv freedom. charger powerwise QE 48v. have had no

Customer Question

2011 ezgo rxv freedom. charger powerwise QE 48v. have had no problems till now(5yrs) . have maintained batteries monthly. i recharge after every use. THE PROBLEM. after plugging in to cart the flashing green light goes on to start the charge. within 10 minutes the charger makes clicking sound and green led is intermediate at best. charger is fastened on wall 6ft above garage floor. heat sink is facing out with handle up. charger gets hot on left side more so than right side, but at this time, not hot enough to burn hand. i unplug it probably before it gets hotter.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: do you mean what part of charger is noise coming from? been going on about 2 days.
JA: What is the model of your '11 electric?
Customer: RXV FREEDOM
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am willing to open the charger. i worked in electronics years ago, but not in electric. my neighbor can probably help. i can check inside for any visible problem, maybeeee repair the board but i would rather not. i can replace the board if needed and if i can find a company that would sell the board.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i'm sorry i didn't listen to what part of the charger the clicking was coming from. the left end of the charger was definitely the hottest.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery pack voltage and each battery? 4, 12 volt batteries or 6, 8 volt batteries? How old are the batteries? Charger does what battery pack calls for. I suspect battery or cable problem, not charger problem. The transformer end of the charger will always be hotter that the rest of the charger.