sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. Goes to on (ready), but when I

Customer Question

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid. Goes to on (ready) , but when I try to start engine , I hear a rattle like it's trying to start but it doesn't, then few seconds later it goes from on (ready) to plain on. After that, it won't go back to ready mode unless I leave the battery disconnected for few hours. If I try, the ready light will come on and off right away, and the cluster blanks out as if it were trying to start. Scanner for codes and nothing comes up on engine or hv computer. I'd randomly get throttle codes 2103 and 2118. Changed throttle body and no help.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with you! I will do my best to help.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The engine is started by the 12 volt battery in the trunk. Has this battery ever been replaced? on 2009 model, i would be near 7 years old. I think you have a dead battery and the rattle is the starter solenoid chattering from low voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually swapped in an Infiniti battery from another vehicle. The 12 volt original Panasonic battery is dead. Also tried jumping with booster pack, same result. Is it a special battery needed?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, any 12 volt battery should work. As long as it is connected with good connections. Does the borrowed battery have at least 12,5 volts? Is voltage getting to the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was around 11 when connected and went down to around 10. I noticed that the voltage gauge for battery slowly goes down on cluster and hits bottom of gauge after about 10 minutes. If I disconnect battery and reconnect it goes back up to where it should be. I'll check on power to starter Solenoid tomorrow. Is it a power issue if when it goes to ready mode I can drive forward and back but as soon as it tries to start and fails, it won't let it back into ready mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you could give me location of solenoid I'd appreciate it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You still have a dead battery! 10 or 11 volts will not close the 12 volt solenoid, Charge your battery or replace the battery. Solenoid is going to be on the actual starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was under impression when I read the factory service manual that a generator turns engine. Guess I'll take a look at starter tomorrow and buy a new battery. The battery I put in was starting other car fine and I would think battery with booster pack should cover 12v. But I'll get new battery and check solenoid and starter tomorrow . Appreciate the quick responses
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok put a new battery and tried to start and it rattles like engine did a turn and half and stopped. I looked for starter , and there is none. Confirmed with dealer that hybrid uses an MG1 generator to turn engine . So there isn't an actual solenoid to test
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me opt out and see If there is a Nissan expert on here. Sorry. Please do not reply to me or it will lock the question.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, yes I do. I actually have been trying a few things. As I had said before , if I leave battery disconnected for few hours and then try and start car, it'll go into hybrid mode fine, as soon audit tries to start engine, I hear it rumble like it's trying to start then shuts off and it won't allow me to go back into hybrid mode at all. Only stays In on position. Guessing the battery being off clears some code in one of computers . But not getting any codes until battery gets low. It'll throw 2103 and 2118 throttle motor codes. I changed throttle already also

Is the noise you're hearing actually the engine cranking but not starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like engine trying to start but not a healthy turn like a gas only engine, sounds like a stalling kind of rumbling start. Not much experience with hybrids and how a start is supposed to sound with the generator style starter

The first thing I would recommend is checking fuel pressure. If no fault codes are stored then there is a good chance fuel pressure is low or there is none.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried spraying starter fluid but not much of a difference in starting . Are hybrid cars able to have the crankbolt turned to seeing engine is jammed ?

Yes, you can try turning the engine with a ratchet to see if it's locked up.

Without the proper safety equipment, training and experience I don't really recommend working among high voltage components.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya I definitely agree. Hybrids are completely different world. Just out of curiosity, would engine failing to start be a reason for car not being able to go back into ready mode?

The engine has to run to charge the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll check fuel pressure and scan for codes again tomorrow and see if you can help me further

Great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey sorry was trying a few things with car. Fuel and fuel pressure are good, car keeps throwing 2101 and 2118. Changed throttle and same thing. But car will only try to start once and very briefly. Also the aux battery gauge starts at 75% and slowly goes down to empty in about 3 minutes but battery is showing 11v with probe although gauge is showing empty. Any help would be appreciated

If the throttle body has been replaced with a new factory part then it's wiring is going to need to be tested. Possible causes for this would be the throttle body, wiring, and the engine controller.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered Ecm and was thinking if Ipdm possibly would be cause. Ever seen other symptoms that i described ? The fact it won't even try to start can't be from just a throttle code right?

I wouldn't expect a throttle body issue to cause a no start but if there is spark and fuel when it's attempting to start the engine you need to concentrate on the known issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey invade your still able to help, I've changed ecm , throttle body, fuel pump. I even studied how to charge each of the 34 cells in hybrid battery one by one myself. And current situation is same. Car will not go into ready mode. It blanks out like it is about to but doesn't. I'll scan for codes again but any ideas about what in hybrid system would cause this, inverter? Relay? Strator?

A failure in any of the powertrain components can cause it. You do need to see what fault codes are currently setting and looking at data may be necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok. I'll do that asap thank you. Get back to you in a few

Ok.