Electric Vehicles

Electric Car Questions? Ask a Electric Car Mechanic Online.

Electric Vehicles

Cart will not go. There is a squealing/whining noise coming

Customer Question
Cart will not go....
Cart will not go. There is a squealing/whining noise coming from the motor/gear box. If you push it and hold the power pedal down it will assist you to move it but it will not move own its own. If it's facing down hill it will move a little. New batteries in place was working when I loaded it on the trailer but went to unload it this was the problem that appeared.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I think it's coming from the motor where it attaches to the gear box
JA: What is the model/year of your electric?
Customer: Have no idea
JA: What year is your electric?
Customer: Have no idea. Just bought it today from a guy. Drove it around and it was fine. Loaded it on the trailer and hauled it 2 1/2 hours and now this is what's going on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix it myself. I checked the sylinoid, the batteries, the ignition, the pedal
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The guy said he had just replaced the motor. The motor looks refurbished but not in bad condition
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
8/5/2016
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Noise from motor area! I would remove the motor and check the coupler between motor and gearbox. It is a splined shaft and splines may be worn and slipping!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I'll do that this evening when I get home from work. What do I do if that is the case?

Replace the damaged parts, hopefully just the coupler!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I attempted to separate the motor from the gearbox but it seems like it's either got some kind of JB Weld or some kind of adhesive material that is locking them together. My husband is of the mindset that he thinks that one of the wires is overheating, one of the wires does get very very hot so let me see if I can give a clear explanation of what is going on. When you first push the gas pedal you can go in reverse for a very short period and then it stops it just will not go anywhere any further and at that point it's not doing any squealing in the motor but if you really push down on the gas pedal and keep it pushed that is when the motor starts squealing

Drive motor may be damaged, or has a bad bearing in the closed end. It has to be separated or the motor has to be disassembled on the unit! The coupler is splined on both ends, but it can get rusted into place and take some effort to free it up!

Sounds to be drive motor problem to me!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got the motor off the gear box and all the "teeth" are good on the motor and the gear box. When my husband pushed the "gas" pedal the motor does nothing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I check to see if the motor is good?

Motor would need to be removed, and stood up on the end, and spin the armature manually and feel for roughness or listen for noise. Looking for bad bearing or bad brushes, and of course looking at the motor spline. If I have motor off, I would check the brushes and replace brushes and end bearing , just to know they are both new.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Splines look fine. No noise when spinning. How do I check the bearings and brushes? Do I need to take the motor out of its case?

Yes, might as well disassemble the motor!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. So we just jumped the motor and it spins quiet and fast so no problem with it. The motor does look brand new also.

Ok, time to raise the rear wheels and turn the gear box side!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When we turn the tires it turns the spline turns. When we turn the spline the tires turn. My husband is concerned that he can hold the spline still and still rotate the tire.

With both tires off the ground, if he turns one , the other should turn in opposite direction. That would be normal. To keep tire from rotating, one tire would have to be on the ground, or blocked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is what is happening. What do we do next
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is worried that the he can turn the tire even when he is holding the spline still.

Is one tire on the ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. We can put one on the ground though

Yes, do that and try it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Now he spins the tire he can not stop the spline from spinning

All sounds normal! Swap tires and try the other wheel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing with this side so all good

So question is still , where is the noise coming from.???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It only made that noise the one time. Since then it hasn't made that noise

I thought it was a continuous noise!

You didn't hear any noise at either wheel, think that maybe the brake was making noise.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband said he thought it must have been an "electrical" noise. No the brakes are not working so I don't think they where making the noise. When we push the go pedal it will try to go but it does nothing more than a little scoot. All 6 batteries are brand new Trojan

With cart off the ground and motor reinstalled. see if both wheels will drive on the one wheel down test. Test one side, then the other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did each side and the motor/gears spin/wheels spin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband just jacked up the back wheels and pressed the pedal and it goes great in reverse and forward. I mean it's really spinning fast

My thought was that it may have axle shaft spining in the drive hub on one of the wheels. sounds like it should run on the ground!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what we thought! Any other ideas? What is the black box that is next to the solenoid?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It like its not getting enough juice. We just checked all the batteries and they all read between 6.34v to 6.37v
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have one wire that is getting very hot (we changed it out and thought that would fix it) it runs from m- on the black box the the bottom post on the controller
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the wheels off the ground and the pedal depressed it spins the wheels fast and the WIRE DOEA NOT GET HOT! What is the world is going on?!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Used a voltmeter to check the bold on the black box. The 4 post read between 17-19v

lets back up a little, what year model is this cart? I have been thinking this is late model with a Curtis controller. Sounds like you are describing a resistor cart. With resistors in a box . Year model is on plate on the passenger side glove box area, It will be letter /number combination, and the last two numbers should be year model. Example F091 would be 1991 model.

Like the one above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The plate has been removed but we think it's between a 91 & 94. The guy we bought it from didn't know

Is speed control mechanical or electronic? Does this black box have four main battery cable connections? Pictures maybe?

Did you look at the link i sent on the resistor control unit?

Electronic Curtis controller. B + on the controller should have 36 volts , you say somewhere around 17 to 19? B+ comes direct from the solenoid , which has to be 36 volts. We may be getting closer to he problem. What is voltage at the solenoid cable terminals. both sides should be close to 36 volts,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
20.4 & -20.3
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
B+ is 20.1

Follow cables back and find why there is only 20 volts, when solenoid has to have 36 volts, and controller has to have 36 volts!

The positive cable from the battery pack goes to one side of the solenoid. So it has to be 36 volts, or the battery pack is hooked up wrong!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok got 39 volts to hot on selenoid but nothing on back side turned key on pressed pedal got 37 out the back side

So do you get this to the controller?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With using B- as the ground with the key on and the pedal pressed getting 38v on all post on controller

OK, now, is it getting to the drive motor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Checked all 4 post on the motor and they are all 36v

so cart should be driving! So with that said, what does it do now, does it lurch when pedal is pressed or??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a small lurch. Sometimes it actually rolls a couple feet, albite weakly.

Des battery pack voltage drop when it trys?

an axle shaft is not spinning in one of the wheels? Keeping unit from driving?

Here is site showing the Ezgo troubleshooting, just scroll down the opening page past all the manual lists, which don't work , till you get to the troubleshooting guide. I have to get off here and go to bed! I will check back in the AM.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other