Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

I have a 2004 TXT 36 volt EZGO Golf cart. I have been having issues for a couple of weeks while playing the cart may...

I have a 2004 TXT...
I have a 2004 TXT 36 volt EZGO Golf cart. I have been having issues for a couple of weeks while playing the cart may not immediately start back up when the pedal is pushed or if it does it is very slow. I can turn it off and immediately turn it back on and all is fine. Last weekend I backed out of the garage fine and then when trying to go forward nothing happened. It would not go back into reverse either as if it wasn't getting power. Lights and radio worked fine. Pushed back into garage, cleaned cable connections and recharged batteries. Next day nothing. Any ideas?
6/25/2016
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Cart gets power to the control circuit of the key switch from the charger port. If no power to the key, the reed switch in the charger connection, that kills the power when charger is attached , has not closed when charger was unplugged. Lights and radio may be wired direct and not through control circuit. But if keywitch does have battery voltage, then problem can be with the F/R switch. Do you have the large switch at your knee, or the dash mounted toggle? Most directional problems is the F/R switch.

I have a dash mounted toggle switch. I seem to have power to the key as the lights turn on and off with the key switch. Radio is direct wired as switch doesn't have to be on to work. How can I check the F/R switch?Would the F/R switch cause the slow motion starts and that can be corrected when the ignition is turned on and off?Charger plug connection has to be wiggled sometimes to get the charger to working. Otherwise the charger will kick on and off until it seems to get a good connection.

With dash mounted switch the change is at the controller. But with slow start, and then correcting itself, I think your solenoid would be what I would try first!And if that does not change the action, the next step is to replace the controller!

where is the solenoid located and how can I check it out?

It is the part the posiitve battery cable goes direct to, usually on the right side, passenger seat area, may be under the controller cover. Test is to replace!

Or bypass, which takes a small cable or jumper from one cable connection to the other, with negative cable off at battery while doing the bypass. Then see if cart runs without hesitation.

Going to pick up the solenoid now. let you know how it works out.

OK> Thanks,

replaced solenoid and nothing happens. If I press the pedal very slowly I can here a single click coming from the solenoid area and then a very slight bump from the rear that sounds like something may be trying to engage without success. Any ideas?

Foot pedal has to close the solenoid, solenoid then powers the controller , then drive motor get power. Can you check the small posts of solnoid to see if you get 36 volts from foot pedal to the solenoid to close it?

I don't have a meter

A cheap digital voltmeter around $10 at auto or retail store, or Harbor freight even less! Very good tool to have around!

agreed. i'll probably go pick one up and give it a try. If I don't have the 36 volts - what should I look for? What is your next best guess if I do have 36 volts?

Here is site with basic troubleshooting, you have to scroll down the penong page, past the manuals to find the guide.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other