Electric Vehicles

Electric Car Questions? Ask a Electric Car Mechanic Online.

Electric Vehicles

I had a guy replace the batteries in my ez go electric cart

Customer Question
yesterday. He told me...
I had a guy replace the batteries in my ez go electric cart yesterday. He told me last night that it is running, but when he puts the switch in fwd, it goes in reverse. When he puts it in reverse, the cart drives forward. What on earth could cause this to happen?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: not a battery issue. batteries are brand new. it's an electric cart.
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: batteries are brand new......
JA: Anything else I can tell the Electric Vehicle Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: that should give him a good idea of what's going on.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electric Vehicle Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
4/11/2016
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: EVTech, Technician replied 1 year ago
EVTech
EVTech, Technician
Hi,There's a couple things that he could have done.Either he wired the batteries backwards or the disconnected the wires to the solenoid and put them back in reverse order.The forward reverse switch only change polarity of the electrical current to the motor so it wont hurt anything but to have it right he will need to switch the wiring of the batteries so they are opposite polarity at the end of the circuit.I hope that makes sense. Batteries are connected positive post to negative post in the pack. Then on one end you end up with a positive wire extra and on the other you end up with a negative wire.Basically what needs to happen is on the end he has a positive extra that should have been a negative and vice versa on the other end.So that also means every connecting wire will need to be rotated to complete the circuit in the right order.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Batteries are hooked up like the diagram shows. I switched the positive and the negative like you said and nothing would happen at all. Think the solenoid may be wired wrong? Would that cause the cart to run forward when it's in reverse and vice versa?
Yeah if the batteries are right then the solenoid would have to be backwards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he says the solenoid wasn't touched in install of batteries. Maybe a wiring issue then? Can I attach a picture of batteries?
When you changed the positive and negative leads did you change all the wire connections on the battery pack as well?
EVTech
EVTech
EVTech, Technician