Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Drove my cart about 100' and it locked up. Wouldnt move any…

Customer Question
Drove my cart about...

Drove my cart about 100' and it locked up. Wouldnt move any more. Turned it off and back on. It ran about 50' and locked up again. Reached under to feel the motor and the casing was very hot. Its like i was driving with the brake fully depressed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a an electric. The Electric Vehicle Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes, if I can. Just spent $800 on new batterieS!

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

All I have done is look for loose connections. Dont really know where to go from there.

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Electric Vehicle Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else the Electric Vehicle Mechanic should be aware of about your electric?

My daughter got it stuck in the mud last weekend. Today was the first time it has been driven since.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
3/6/2016
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Make and model of cart? 36 or 48 volts? Do you have a voltmeter to test? Does cart roll free in tow position? Brakes are not locked?

48 volt. It will not roll at all in tow position. When i take my foot off the gas, it stops very quickly without using the brake at all.

The brakes are locking up. The mud has gotten into the wheels and brakes, or the brake cable is sticking. Can you raise the rear wheels and see if either rear wheel turns free? If one is free, then the other side is the locking side. You might wash it out with hose to see if you can get some of the mud out. Or the wheel and brake will have to come off.

I have thoroughly cleaned underneath the cart. I don't see any cables going to the rear wheels. I know it has a motor brake and it smells like brakes do when they are overheated
This is an EZ Go Freedom Shuttle 2+2

If it has the motor brake, on the rear of the drive motor, is it releasing ? It has to have a full 48 volts to release.

How can I tell if it is releasing? It seems as though it is released when i first start up because the cart moves very well. After traveling a bit, it locks up again

I assume you have charged batteries fully? Electric brake may be releasing,and then loosing voltage as you drive, allowing brake to apply.

after I got it out of the mud and cleaned it, it was parked in the garage and charged. It hasn't been used since last weekend.

How old are the batteries? Need to check each battery for proper voltage. If it has 6, 8 volt batteries they should read 8.4 volts or more fully charged, if it has 4, 12 volt batteries, they need to be around 13 volts. A digital voltmeter is always handy and less than $10 at auto or retail store.

The batteries are all brand new. Just replaced them 3 weeks ago

Try charging it over night and try it tomorrow. Seems to be low voltage to the brake!

Will do. Can i contact you tomorrow?

Yes, leave question open, there will be link in your email to get back.

Did you find the problem?

No. I let it charge overnight and I still have the same problem

Do you have a voltmeter to see if you are getting the full 48 volts to the brake? The voltage comes to the brake through solenoid, and the brake is a spring applied brake, and the coil in the brake has to release it. Without full 48 volts to the brake coil, it will drag. If there is 48 volts to the brake coil, the brake is problem.

I have a meter. Let me check that

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other