Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I am working on a 1987 ezgo Textron 36 volt golf cart. built

Customer Question

I am working on a 1987 ezgo Textron 36 volt golf cart. built new battery racks clean all terminals filed speed controller connections flat because they were pitted.check brushes in motor look like brand new.had the same problem I did when I started.press the pedal and the solenoid vibratesbut doesn't even try to go. tried to find wiring diagram but was unable to find one legible and with all connections. what should I check for next.please help
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the voltage to the solenoid when pedal is pushed. Has to be the 36 volts to close the solenoid. With solenoid just vibrating, it is not getting full voltage.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is wiring link.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have the three micro switches, tow on the fr switch and one on the foot pedal? On mine ,I just use the one on the foot pedal.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is Ezgo site, that has the switch wiring, just scroll down the opening page and see if the pictures download!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you so much for your reply, just opened my shop and I'm busy at the moment.as soon as I get a chance to jump back on that card I will let you know what I figure out thanks again.with lots of thanksMike
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same wireing diagram that I found. does not show wires leading to solenoidto charge the solenoid coil. better wire diagram would be helpful that wiring diagram not so much. not completely satisfied
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is your solenoid three wire or four wire? The micro switches have to energize the solenoid. On three wire solenoid, solenoid is grounded internally, if four wire, the second small terminal has to go to battery negative.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery voltage to keyswitch, keyswitch to one side of micro switch, micro switch to solenoid.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That is leaving out the two micros on the fr switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
second terminal being the one on the right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
terminal on the left is going to key switch terminal on the right is going to micro switch on the accelerator board
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The small terminals, are the ones that close the solenoid, right, left does not matter.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery voltage could come off the battery side of the solenoid, for power to the keyswitch, but would not be on either of the two small terminals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok let me take a closer look at this,looks like its in a loop right now.you wouldn't happen to have a better wiring diagram would you? I struggle w adhd so comprehension and concentrationare hard to maintain at the same time.lol
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is diagram I made some time ago. It may help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.4 volts at solenoid when I step on the pedal. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I've been busy with a sick kiddo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is on the solenoid coil contacts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put voltmeter on negative positive 36 voltconnections.I have 36 volt until I step on the pedal drops down to 10.4
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has to stay at 36 volts. Look for bad connection or wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned all the connections. How would I go about finding it? Where you go push kick it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Wire comes from the foot switch, does the voltage drop at the switch? Just keep following voltage back until you find the 36 volts. Or use a jumper wire from the switch to the solenoid, if it works, replace the wire,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a lot bud still having problems with it but you are a lot of help. well worth the money!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow. thanks again
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I put my stationary lead while testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am guessing on the ground but I want to be certain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have a battery problem, with the charger hooked up Car tries to move.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was batt. W/shorted cell.your input was still helpful. Thanks.