Electric Vehicles

Electric Car Questions? Ask a Electric Car Mechanic Online.

Electric Vehicles

96 DS suddenly stopped running (whlle going F and R to get

Customer Question
out of tight parking space)...
96 DS suddenly stopped running (whlle going F and R to get out of tight parking space). I think I heard a loud click (much louder than solenoid click) at instant it stopped. Before this, it had failed to go in reverse in cold weather, and had about a one-second delay going reverse at other times. Now solenoid click can be heard when circuit on but no movement at all.
What's most likely problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
1/15/2016
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other

Have you checked the cables at the drive motor? If solenoid is closing, it has voltage to it , but from solenoid to controller, to motor ,may have bad cable.

Does cable have in-line fuse?
The cables between solenoid, controller and motor all check out. Any new suggestions re other continuity checks?

Do you have voltmeter to see if the solenoid is working and voltage is getting to controller and drive motor?

If fuse was bad, the solenoid would not click.

I have volt meters galore.
If F&R control is put in neutral (key on) and power pedal fully depressed, would full voltage show between large solenoid terminals?Also, what terminals on controller should show voltage in above scenario?

You will have to remove one cable and check solenoid, as both sides have positive voltage ,all the solenoid does is make connection.

With one solenoid cable detached should I expect to get voltage across other terminal?

If you have voltage to one side, when solenoid closes, you should have voltage to both!

Thanks. I will try later. Have other commitments right now. It sounds to me that you really know your stuff. Many thanks - I'll be back to you later.

I try! Everyday is a new learning experience!

OK, I detached the solenoid terminal from the cable going to the positive side of the battery. The other terminal was still hot to ground, but not to full 50 volts.Volt meter between solenoid terminals did not register any voltage when pedal was depressed. But, I also didn't hear any solenoid click - is that usual in circumstances?Anyway, I have a new solenoid and will replace existing one.Thanks very much. You may hear from me again if this doesn't do the trick.

Solenoid should have clicked closed, so it does sound like bad solenoid, assuming it is getting voltage fro foot switch.

OK, I hope you work on Saturdays, Curtis. I put connection back on solenoid and now it clicks when pedal depressed.
So, is there another test I can do with all connections in place? Would it work to disconnect the other side (the one that doesn't go to plus side of battery(?

Just jump the solenoid and see if cart runs. You can put both cables on one terminal, or use a jumper cable to tie them together!

OK, I'll disconnect battery, then connect both cable to same terminal on solenoid. Reconnect battery and try to start cart. If this doesn't work I guess it means that solenoid was not the problem. I'll be back later. I guess that you work from home - at least I hope so.

OK. Yes, I work from home,be here a day. Going to watch some football!

OK, I connected both solenoid terminals together. Reconnected positive side of battery. When I went to connect negative terminal of battery I got one hell of a spark (welding quality!). Key was in off position, pedal up.What does this mean??

?? So something is shorted or on. I assume car will roll, and axles are not locked . Start by checking cables at drive motor and controller for obvious problems.

Can I assume that solenoid is not the problem? Did I tell you that when plugged in to charger the battery voltage goes up a few bolts - seemingly the computer is working, Right?

Yes, solenoid is not problem! It likely was closing and making the connection. You might wire it back, then test the system looking for hot spots!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other