Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

I have a 2000 Ezgo TXT. I have installed new batteries and

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ezgo TXT. I have installed new batteries and cables. Most of the time when we put it in forward, it will only go slowly. If we stop, go in reverse for a minute and then go forward, it will travel at full speed. Need to figure out what to check to find the problem and how I can get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the f/r lever at your knee? Either the contacts in the f/r switch are not making solid contct, or the solenoid is not making good contact.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would replace the solenoid first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wont be able to see if this works until the weekend.
The cart is at our place up north.
Where is the solenoid located on the cart?
What makes it different when shifting into reverse for a minute and then going forward?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid opens and closes, just like the f/r switch.Solenoid will be under the plastic cover wth the controller under the passenger side of seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid replaced. Problem is still there!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check the contacts in the f/r switch. You can swap the f/r wires to see if it makes any difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swapped the wires. Cart would not mive in either direction. Not sure what should be cleaned on switches?? Are you saying i should run a little sand paper on the metal contact are? Is there something that needs to be disassembled?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You can clean up the contacts with sand paper!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Contacts cleaned. Problem remains. You can be going full speed forward, stop and let your foot off accelerator, and when you step on it again it will only go the slower speed. You need to put it in reverse for a second again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It has to be the f/r switch or the controller. you ave already changed the solenoid. I still think it is the f/r switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need to replace the two micro switches?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would try that before buying a controller!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Managed another test drive before heading back. A new thing since cleaning the contacts is that if you are in forward, stop the cart and take your foot of the pedal, after a short while the cart starts beeping. Three beeps, then two beeps and the pattern keeps repeating until you get moving. Also, when you take your foot off the pedal, you need to go in reverse before it will travel forward at the full speed and the beeping will stop.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Can't find anything on the beeping! But everything points to a bad f/r switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the three beeps, two beeps, be some sort of problem code?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You would think so, but there are no codes for Ezgo!