Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

2009 RXV, when ignition is turned to forward or reverse it

Customer Question

2009 RXV, when ignition is turned to forward or reverse it clicks and wheels turn barely with a scrubbing sound and other times when turning the ignition switch you hear the clicking sounds but nothing will move
Category: Electric Vehicles
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

RXV has electric park brake. It requires 48 volts to release the brake, or cart will not move. Batteries have to be fully charged. What is the age of the batteries? Have batteries ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The batteries are 2012, it was running fine on a Monday but on Wednesday of the same week it was taken out of the garage and moved about 20 feet in reverse after about 20 minutes I went to put it back in the garage and it would barely move and had a scrubbing sound in forward and reverse, I put in tow mode and pushed in garage and the next day I turned ignition on and it would click but wouldn't move forward or reverse, I noticed some of the battery terminals need cleaning and I will clean those and fully charge the batteries,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did charge the batteries for about 3 hours to see if it would move better and quit the scrubbing noise but it continued after the 3 hour charge to do the same thing, the scrubbing noise sounds like it was coming from the motor. I have replaced the brake motor before about a year ago while under warranty, but warranty has expired. I also noticed that the brakes do not stop like they should or as quick as before, it rolls a good but before auto brake comes on
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The noise is the motor brake more than likely, remove the bolts holding it to motor and see if cart doesn't run. I think it will. This brake is # ***** problem on RXV's. If not the park brake ,then check the service brakes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I unbolt the motor brake and leave plugged in or unplug? Do I need to jack up the rear? Will the motor run without the brake motor?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Motor will run without the brake, you can just lay the brake back for test, You don't need to jack the unit up. Brake is only park brake.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, I will try tomorrow and see what happens
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks.