Electric Vehicles

Electric car questions? Ask an electric car mechanic online.

Club Car DS (AG0023): I have a couple of questions. First…

Customer Question
I have a couple of...
I have a couple of questions. First is regarding the service manual. I was going to buy a service manual online, but it looks like there is a service manual and a supplemental service manual (parts manual?). I'm curious if I need both. I have a 2000 DS (Model AG0023).
Second question regards ***** ***** I need the service manual. It started having problems running, like it was starved for gas, or too much air. It has brand new gas (I drained the tank, cleaned it, and refilled with new gas. Also replaced the fuel lines, fuel filters (it appears that an extra one had been installed near the carburetor) and gas cap (the gasket on the old one deteriorated and debris fell in the tank, which is why I thought the fix would be easy). After that it ran great for a while, then while heading up hill it starting chugging and coughing. If I hit the choke it would run a bit, then die. If I loosened the gas cap, retightened it, then started it up again it would run a bit then die. After sitting for a bit I could get it to run great for several blocks, then it would die/cough and sputter. I did take the outlet line off the fuel pump and run it, and gas came out. Also took off the pressure line and it felt like it was getting pulsating pressure.
Not sure what to try next. Seems to pretty consistently run for a few blocks from a cold start, then quit. After my initial fix with the fuel lines etc. both filters seemed to be about 90% full. After running it a while they both seemed to be pretty empty, though I could see gas dripping through them.
Any ideas on what to try next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Electric Vehicles
6/29/2015
Electric Vehicle Mechanic: Curtis B., Other replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Have you removed the suction tube from the tank and checked it for debris?
Yes, I removed the fuel pickup tube, removed it from the valve, and blew both of them out. After my initial repairs and first test run I did notice a few pieces of debris in the fuel filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump. I took the filter loose and poured gas through it backwards to flush out the debris (it was very small debris, so I doubt that it was blocking anything, but hated to have debris in the system I had just cleaned out). The pickup tube valve seemed to be working also, since I could blow through it when it was open and couldn't when it was closed. The tube seemed to be a fairly hard plastic, and I was wondering if that was the way it was supposed to be. Also, I made sure it was reseated firmly into the valve so it wasn't sucking air at that connection. Not sure if I should try to seal that joint.
The suction has to be vaccum tight!
Do you know if the tube is suppose to be flexible? Also, since it runs for a while, then starts coughing, I was thinking it wasn't the tube/valve. Would sealing the connection with a silicone type gasket sealer be worth trying?
Tube is stiff plastic.
Take a hose and byass it.
Run hose from the fuel pump inlet to the tank filler opening
OK, good suggestion. I have some extra 1/4" tubing I can run from the filter into the gas tank, eliminating one part to randomly replace. I'm guessing it's just fine to run with the gas cap off (in neutral of course!). I also had removed the air hose from the air filter to the carburetor (by the way, the filter looked clean), plugged one end, and blew hard into the other end. It passed this unofficial test with no leaks.
Do the test and let me know.
Unfortunately the vehicle is 200 miles south of me right now! I worked on it last weekend, hoping that cleaning everything would fix the problem. I will be going down again this Saturday, but was hoping to have some more things to try before I went. Also, the stores will be closed, so I won't be able to get any parts. I was going to replace the line that runs from the crankcase to the fuel pump since I can do that for $5 or so. Was also thinking about getting an after market fuel pump for $18 or so and have it shipped 2-day to me. That would allow me to disassemble the fuel pump to look for debris or other problems, and have a new one ready to put on in case I found something wrong or messed up gaskets during disassembly.
Sounds like a plan!
If the pickup tube/ valve connection is the problem is it OK to seal it with a gasket sealer?Also, do you know what the pressure ranges coming into the fuel pump are supposed to be? I could put a gauge on it and see what it reads, although when it's coughing I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell if the pressure drop was from the coughing or from a crankcase seal that only leaks when hot.
Also, do you know about the two manuals; service and supplemental? Do I need both? May not need either if I have you!This is my first time on this site, so I'm not sure exactly how it works. I can try some things this Saturday, but will you or someone else be available at that time? And will they know this history?
You can use sealer on the valve. Fule pump needs to below pressure, less than 4lbs if you can find one.
There should be a link in email to get back. I should be here.
OK, thanks. Any advice on the manuals?
I would want one! Not sure about the supplemnt
Also, any other ideas on things to try? So far here is what I plan on doing:1) Replace the line from the crankcase to the fuel pump2) Run a line straight from the gas tank to the fuel pump (will probably use clear tubing to see what's going on3) By an after market standby fuel pump, disassemble the current fuel pump looking for debris/damage, and clean or replace depending on what I find.4) Get an online service manual, possibly the supplement (I can ask our local dealer what they think, or take a look at theirs.Not sure what else to do in preparation for my trip. If it's not any of these things, could it be the crankcase seal acting up under a load or when hot? This cart is in very good shape, always stored inside, and typically only run for a quarter mile or so at a time. I do take it for a block or two spin when I go down just to keep things running well. It sat mostly idle for 2-3 years prior to this.
I have to leave my computer now. I will check back for any other answers tomorrow. I will order the online manual which may bring up new questions. Thanks for your help so far.
Thank you.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other