Curtis B.
Curtis B., Other
Experience:  Worked on fleet of various electric vehicles, golf carts, scissor lifts and electric booms.
30244710

My cart is a 1998 ez go electric 36 volt. The batteries are

Customer Question

My cart is a 1998 ez go electric 36 volt. The batteries are good. My turn signals, horn and break lights are working. I have just finished replacing the solinoid(and the 2 electronic parts on the top of the solinoid), all new parts. I have also replaced the ignition switch. I have checked the fuses. My cart will not run, my head lights don't work, my battery (fuel) gage won't work. I have checked for in line fuses and cannot find any. I'm hot, tired, and don't know what to do next. Please Help!
Category: Electric Vehicles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My cart worked great yesterday
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Keyswitch gets power from the back side of the carts charger receptacle. Look at the switch in this connection. When charger is attached, this switch opens and kills the keyswitch. If it does not close when charger is removed, the cart gets no power to the keyswitch!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My cart has a manual (handle type by my right leg beneath the seat) the old style
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
That's the f/r switch . Key switch may be there to, but it should get power from the charger plug. Does your charger receptacle have a small wire on the posiitve side, on the rear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 wires, 1 thick black 1thick white and 1 thin white connected to a thin red wire which goes back to the harness
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
that small white.red wire would be the wire that powers the key switch. Does it have voltage? The reed switch is in the plug.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Getting dark here. Let's talk tomorrow. Happy Fathers Day!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
OK< thanks, ***** ***** my day , today!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tested the small red wire and got 0 on the meter. How much does it cost to talk on the phone?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Look at the connector for the charger where the red wire comes from. There is a reed switch. close it and your cart will run!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Use some WD40, and plug the charger in an out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried WD and plug in/out several times. Plugged in charger and it won't turn on. What's my next step my friend?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Take a jumper wire from the battery posiitve post, and attach it to the red wire, then see if cart runs. Have to have battery voltage on the red wire to power the keyswitch, foot switch, to close the solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I use any positive post on any battery?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No, you need full voltage, so you need the end posiitve, that goes to the solenoid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ran jumper. Now battery gage works, reverse noise works. No headlights or power to motor. Next step please
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You said it won't turn on when you plugged in the charger. You mean charger does not come on? What is voltage at the carts receptacle? It should read 36 volts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18.76 v. Charger doesn't come on
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
!!follow back an find out why you don't have 36 volts!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I pay extra and call you? Don't know how to "follow back".
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Just trace the cables back to the battery pack. Do you have 36 volts across the pack? All batteries should be attached to the next , posiitve to negative, and you should only have a single posiitve and a single negative, which drives the cart, these two points have to be 36 volts, and these are the same points the charger port has to go to.