Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My daughter has been a varsity cheerleader for 3yrs her

Customer Question
My daughter has been...

My daughter has been a varsity cheerleader for 3yrs her senior year the new coach demoted her to jv and put 2freshmen on the varsity team do we have a case she is devastated

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have a call out to the athletics director

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The new coach is a teacher and she and her group choose 2 freshmen that were her classroom assistants

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Education Law
5/31/2018
Education lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 19 days ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will see five stars at the top of this screen. Those stars are important because they are how I earn credit for doing my job. So please do not forget to do that for me before you leave the site today.

Please understand that sometimes I have to deliver bad news. Unfortunately, there is not a perfect solution to a problem. If you get an answer you did not want, but my service is still good, please do not punish me with a negative rating. My goal is to provide you with a positive customer service experience. And hopefully that will earn me a positive rating.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, no, you do not have a case. There does not appear to be any tort (i.e., discernible injury under the law, as a result of this decision), no rights infringed upon by the government, and certainly no criminal violation. Yes, she may be upset, but no statutory laws were violated that resulted in this outcome. You might have recourse through the school, or school district, but none in the courts. I'm very sorry.

I know the answer might not be what you wanted or expected, but I hope I have provided you with the information you were looking for. If you have any additional follow-up questions, you are welcome to ask them.

In the mean time, please do not forget to give me credit for helping you today. To do that, you just scroll to the top of this screen, and click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★). Again, this is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

And if you feel like I’ve earned a bonus tip, that is also appreciated!

Finally, if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!