Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My husband co-signed his daughters student loan she refuses…

Customer Question
My husband co-signed his...

My husband co-signed his daughters student loan she refuses to pay it. I was injured and can no longer work so we r down to one income and are finding it harder to pay her loan. She has blocked us from all communications. We have to sell our home . What will happen to us when we stop paying these loans

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the school located? And is it a public or private institution?

She graduated from Boston University, these are private loans we have paid 22,000 of the 68,000 she owes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

No we have not talked to anyone we were trying to get her to be responsible for her debt. I’m not sure how the school can help us . She also stuck the school for 6,000 . These are Wells Fargo loans

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Education Law
4/2/2018
Education lawyer: Dan Hodgkinson,
 replied 3 months ago
Dan Hodgkinson

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - what has happened that your daughter has stopped paying the loan?

She stated 3 years ago it was her fathers responsibility to pay it, now she is saying she can’t afford it. He has tried making arrangements with her but she will not talk to him and has blocked him from all forms of communication.
Education lawyer: Dan Hodgkinson,
 replied 3 months ago

I am sorry to hear about this situations - the first thing I would do would be to contact the student loan department at the university and see if they will reduce/lower/ or defer the payments. If that is unsuccessful, Wells Fargo would be able to put you on a repayment plan that will work for you and your family. They are able to restructure the student loans and will work with you. If that doesn't work - you can restructure your debt through your bank and they will put you on a payment plan.