Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I have a question please about getting disqualified from a…

I have a question please...
I have a question please about getting disqualified from a Master's Program if the student was coming on an unstable time to her practicum site. Thanks a lot
here is my situation: I am in school psychology master's program. Two years ago, due to my anxiety and anxiety attack, I had to take leave of absence. When I came back, after a while, I had to do my practicum hours. The site supervisor for that practicum experience got mad with me because I was not able to do tasks as fast as she required, and at the end she rejected working with me (Besides her reasons that I was not doing tasks fast, she did not like my personality. I am a soft person and she said you are not good for this career: School Psychologist). She created a long bad report and evaluation about me to my professors. Thank god my professors did not believe her and they assigned a new supervisor for me. Everything went well with the new supervisor. Then, for a new practicum experience, me and all students had to work with a new supervisor. However, for reasons (that is too much to explain here) I enrolled in this practicum experience voluntarily to finish up some tasks. My new supervisor at this new experience is a logical person. However, I did not arrive on a stable time because I thought I am not much needed at this site. Since I had chosen this myself, I thought it is up to me to arrive a little later than what I was supposed to be. I have also learning disability that is why it takes more time for me to work on tasks
After my new supervisor reported to my professor that I was not coming on a stable schedule, my professor warned me that I might not be able to continue the program since my site supervisor is overwhelmed by me. Actually, when my site supervisor told me about the importance of coming on time even though I chose this by myself, I agreed with her. She was very respectful and nice to me as well.She told me that I have also reported positive aspects of your works as well.You are open and flexible to feedback. You listen to me when I ask you to do things.
But my professor told me that she is overwhelmed by you and we need to talk if you can continue the program
I am also suffering from anxiety that I use medication for it. When I am on medication, I am good. But still sometimes, I get scared if I cannot finish up the tasks I need to do and I feel like the tasks are too much which in reality I can handel it. In one incident, I just felt scared if I cannot finish up the tasks that I had to do for my class in my practicum site. Then, I asked my site supervisor very calmly and respectfully, "Can I please see less children for counseling so that I can finish my tasks?" As soon as I saw she does not like my request, I accepted and said ok. But still my professor has taken that as an excuse to warn me that I might not be allowed to continue the program. I feel like they are attaching every little unrelated thing together to disqualify me from the program.
They also know that I have done learning disability diagnosis tests for myself and the result comes soon. The professional who tested me told me that most probably I have short term memory and information processing issues.
I know that they are using the negative report of my previous supervisor with the report of me not coming on stable time and my anxiety that I got overwhelmed by tasks.
3/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Thank you dear legal eagle

Thanks so much. I noticed there is quite a backstory to this. Can I suggest a phone call with me to discuss? It's $60, but your call time is unlimited and your satisfaction is guaranteed. I want to ensure that we cover everything carefully and that may be more difficult in writing than over the phone.

Thank you so much but $60.00 is a lot for me at this time. can we please chose typing here?

Sure. So, if I understand correctly, you were dismissed from the program because you had trouble with anxiety. Have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder?

I have not been dismissed yet. But I have strong feeling that they might do that. It is because I was not coming to my practicum site on stable time (Which I told them you are right but it was not on purpose.Rather, I had thought I am not much needed ) They might also use my previous supervisor's negative report that said I did tasks slow (as the supervisor claimed it)

Understood. Have you been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder?

I have been diagnosed. I told them it was not that I wanted to escape works or be irresponsible. Rather, I was just scared for a second that I might not be able to finish other tasks. But then when my supervisor did not like it, I said: sure. ok. I will do that no problem

I see. Do you know if the school accepts federal financial aid at all?

Or for coming late or on unstable schedule, was not because I did not care. Rather, I had thought it is really ok since I am not much needed. I said it by email so it can be a prove
I am getting grant based on low income status
The problem now is that: Most probably, they will use the negative report of the past supervisor along with my start time issue and being overwhelmed at that time to dismiss me from the program

I see. So, it sounds like you're dealing with discrimination based on a disability. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and under the ADA, a school is required to provide reasonable accommodations to disabled students. In your case, if you have a disability and if they aren't providing reasonable accommodations, you may be able to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights because they enforce Section 504 and the ADA when schools who accept federal financial aid are breaking the law. If you are being negatively impacted because of this, you may want to consider taking that action.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thank you for the info. But are they able to dismiss me because I was not coming on time (Despite me explaining that I was not doing it on purpose?) and because I took me long to write the notes that supervisor wanted?
because that is what they are thinking: She does not know the importance of coming on time, and she got overwhelmed by tasks, That is why this career is not good for her
They might not consider that I accepted when they explained it. and Now I know that

Is your anxiety related to you coming in late or taking too long to write notes?

no my anxiety was related to me being scared just one minute. I just suddenly got worried if I cannot finish the tasks.But in reality, I was able to. And, when explained by supervisor, I agreed
I undrestood
Coming late was due to my wrong impression that me thinking that it is ok since my supervisor does not need me that much
taking long to write and finish up task is related to my learning issue

I see. So, it's hard to say for sure whether they could dismiss for the lateness. It depends on whether there is a policy regarding this. If there is and if you've been late such that it interferes with the policy, then yes, they can dismiss. They can't dismiss if the long time to write is related to your disability. They basically need to give you more time if that is the case. If I were their attorney, I would just advise them to ignore the lateness issue and give you more time so they don't get an OCR complaint. OCR has the right to suspend all federal financial aid payments to them and it's not a risk worth taking.

you think even though I explained to them that I did not know the importance of it, they can still dismiss me?
even though I said ok , I'll do as you want
thanks so much for help

It's possible they could dismiss for the lateness issue. In my experience working in higher education, it's unlikely that they will, especially considering if you have a disability. My recommendation would be to speak with them about this and explain that you are making an official request for reasonable accommodations. They should know that you need those accommodations and if they want to avoid an investigation, they will work with you instead of against youj.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Thank you very much. I just hope they don't dismiss me for being late

Me too Consider my suggestions strongly.

Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

sure.

Thank you so much!

Oh I just wanted to add that when I wanted to explain about the disability, they told me I need to discuss it with the student with disability office.

That would be a good idea to do so. They are often the ones who will get your doctor's paperwork and help confirm your diagnosis and work on providing reasonable accommodations for you.

Legal Eagle, Education lawyer
I am so worried about my late come in. Do you think explaining for them that It was misunderstanding and I will at the time they want works?

I think it will work. In my experience, most educators are relatively understanding in these situations.

Because I was really thinking that there is no problem since I took this experience as extra.

You may be right, but the only way you can know for sure is if you start that discussion with them.

Hi Dear Legal Adviser, something new came up and I would like to kindly request your help again.

Hi, welcome back. How can I help?

Thank you so much dear adviser. I was recently dismissed from my practicum site unfortunately. The reasons that they told me were: taking too long to write observation notes of the students, grammatical issues. Also the practicum supervisor said that when you call teachers from the office to ask them to tell some students to come for counseling, you talk too much. And, they did not like it. However, in reality, I had just told them : This is ABC, practicum student working with Ms J,k . Can I please have c, and v to my room? it only took 2 seconds to say that. But this was one of the excuses of my supervisor.

Hi, I'm on the phone with a customer, but as soon as I'm done, I'll be right with you.

Sure. Of course . She has also used a different excuse such as it take me some time to understand a direction.
while you are on the phone, I just write it so you can read it in your convenience when you get the time. Once she had told me that I can ask her to reduce the number of students for counseling that she wants me to see if i see it is too much. After a month, I just suddenly got worried whether I can finish other tasks. Since she had told me herself that I can ask her to reduce the number of counseling sessions, I thought to politely ask her if I can see less students for counseling. When I asked her, she did not like it. She told me that I got overwhelmed by works. Therefore,I cannot be successful for the field of school psychology. Despite all these, I said ok, I will see as much students as you want. Actually, at the end I did what she wanted me to do! But she has used that worry as a tool to add to the reasons she wanted to dismiss me.
Finally, the program's chief or main person wanted to meet with me.She told me that this program is not a right fit for me because I did not pass two practicum experiences. (one with the lady who did not like my personality and this one) I told her please kindly hold your decision since My psycho educational results will be ready in few days. After, the evaluator will discuss with me what accommodations and support I will need (together we decide that). In response, she said that even if you might have a learning disability, support or accommodation won't work for you. because it takes lots of time to fix the problems. She also said that since I am going to be diagnosed as "an adult", it is too late and I will always be behind!
At the end of the meeting, she said to me to think about other major of studies and this coming week, discuss with her my thoughts about other majors.
I am a little confused of her intentions. If she is the one who makes final decision, why she wants me to think about other majors and tell her?
How do you think I need to act or say in the next meeting. I greatly appreciate
Also one important point: At my previous practicum site with different site supervisor (a different school that I had worked as a practicum student) , the supervisor had accused of using inappropriate words at school with teacher which was a total lie. The problem is that the program cheif has believed that. And, I cannot prove that I did say or act inappropriately.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and thanks for your patience. Generally, I get the vibe here that they would like you to find another program because they don't feel as if there is any way to accommodate you. My recommendation is to continue to think of ways that they can accommodate you in a way that will help you become successful. It may be their opinion that you'd be successful elsewhere, but it doesn't eliminate their responsibility in ensuring that there are no barriers to your ability to get your degree. My recommendation is telling them that until and unless they have a reason that is not related to your disability for any kind of discharge from the program, you have the possibility of filing a Section 1983 (civil rights) complaint against the school which would cost much more money and time than working with you now. I would also see if there are other disabled students in your program, school, or field and find out what resources they have utilized to help themselves as well.

I got it . thanks so much for advise. do you think it is also the possibility that they want me to leave spontaneously rather than them doing it because there might be disadvantages of them? (if there is any disadvantages? )

You're welcome. I have reason to believe if they encourage you to leave rather than kicking you out, if you file a complaint, they could say, "She decided to leave on her own," rather than than them trying to defend themselves. When I worked in higher education, we would do that with students who we didn't think would be able to make it. If they left voluntarily, it'd be hard to argue the school discriminated against them.

I see. yeah. thank you for giving me this perspective, So this week, that she meets with me i must not give up to her ideas of other options.

You got it. Stick to your guns and you'll be in good shape!

Thank you dear adviser. By the way, do you have office in los angeles?

I wish! I'm in San Diego.

yeah :) thanks so much. have a good day

you bet!