Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My grandson is attending West University in Morgantown, WVA;

Customer Question
My grandson is attending...

My grandson is attending West Virginia University in Morgantown, WVA; he was involved in a racial incident along with another black youth. I would like to contact the NAACP Chapter in West Virginia for help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your grandson talked to a WV lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your grandson taken so far?

He has met the school board and they have suspended him for two semesters which is equivalent to an expulsion because he will have to reapply to school again to come back and with this incident on his record changes are he will not be accepted back to school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my grandson is not a troublesome youth this is the first time an incident like this has happen. The incident happened because he was helping a friend (who was intoxicated) back to his room and the friend fell on a trash can. There was a couple coming out their building the young lady thought the trash can had been kicked and not fallen onto. Words were exchanged and her male friend called my grandson and his friend the "N" word. My grandson's friend punched the male and knocked him down. Then the male continued to call my grandson the "N" word so my grandson hit the male several times. The male's mother called campus police and pressed charges against my grandson. The result of the hearing was this--the young lady and male were not disciplined at all; my grandson's friend was put on probation and my grandson was suspended for two semesters.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Education Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 24 days ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Ely, Attorney