Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My son will return to college in Colorado in mid-2018. He…

Customer Question
My son will return to...
My son will return to college in Colorado in mid-2018. He has previously been admitted to CU Boulder, on two occasions, although he has not yet attended that school. He attended junior college in Colorado previously for several years but moved to Miami, Florida in 2017 after enrolling in but before actually attending CU Boulder. He had enrolled in CU Boulder and paid the tuition, but through a series of errors he was unable to get any the classes he wanted or needed. To avoid wasting the tuition money for that semester, and to save on housing and living expenses, he withdrew from CU Boulder and moved to Miami and has lived there with me. He grew up in Miami. I have reached the age where my employer thinks it would be best if I retire. I will move to Boulder. I may seek employment in Denver or Boulder, although at age 68 my prospects for finding employment are not good. I will pursue, among other things, employment where I can perform my services for an employer that provides services to unrelated third parties who contract out some of their work. I would perform those services in Colorado. Unlike my son, who lived in Colorado for several years while in junior college, I have never lived in Colorado. I would move to Colorado and, in order to be able to perform certain functions for my son and to provide him a place to live (and save living expenses for both of us on an aggregate basis by our living together), we would likely find a smallish multi-bedroom house or an apartment where both of us would live. It is anticipated I would rent that residence in anticipation of later purchasing a residence. At present, I have a 4-bedroom house that is fully furnished , a large (“250-box”) garage and a ½ acre lot. For reasons of simplicity, inability to move all of my possession at this time, etc., I would put many of my items of furniture and other possessions in storage. I would send to Colorado things like the beds, dining room set, couches, patio furniture, bedroom furniture, etc. The storage facilities likely would be in a small town in Missouri where I grew up and where my daughter and her son now live. Some of that furniture, etc., likely will be transferred to her in all events, starting initially after it is moved there. If I ultimately decide to live in Colorado and purchase a residence there, some of those possessions would eventually be shipped to the new residence in Colorado. In the meantime, they are just too cumbersome to go with me, and their ultimate future dispositions are uncertain. For example, I have a book collection (not actively used) that has more than 1500 linear feet of books, and from my family I have two old grand pianos. My daughter will want some of those items (many of them used to be located in the house where she now lives (which had been my grandmother’s house)), and it doesn’t make economic sense to ship all of that to Colorado until I know what is going to happen to everything. Missouri seems to be the logical place to store all of that. It could be considered that the items will have been transferred to her subject to my taking some things back in the future.
I would move to Colorado and sever my ties to Florida. There is no reason for me to return to Miami. I might have a relationship with a financial adviser in Miami, but he would be an independent contractor. I would move to Colorado with the intention of remaining there indefiniitely unless and until some new event might cause me to change my plans (like finding a really good job somewhere else). No such event is planned or foreseeable or anticipated. Once he’s back in Boulder, my son intends to live there forever. He would like me to do the same, and I might. I believe that my living with or near my son would enable me to do certain things for him that would be beneficial for his long-term well-being. My son would like us to get a residence together. I anticipate that both of us would pay Colorado state income taxes and do whatever other things may be similar to that as are consistent and required with Colorado residency. We would register to vote in Colorado promptly after arriving in Colorado. We would get Colorado drivers’ licenses. Everything should be consistent with a permanent move to Colorado. Memberships in local organizations in Miami would terminate, and new memberships in Colorado would begin. My son will join a local health club. Our dog and cat would come with us to Colorado. Our house in Florida would be sold in due course consistent with maximizing the sales price. The sales agent would be an old friend, which should minimize our need for future connections with Florida with respect to the house.
Would my son become a Colorado resident for purposes of the calculation of his CU Boulder tuition? If so, when would his residency begin? Are there things we could do to enhance the likelihood of becoming a Colorado residence or accelerate the date of his Colorado residency?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Education Law
3/25/2018
Education lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 2 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I would still like to receive an answer.
Education lawyer: Legal Eagle, Education lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Education lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973 guide what is determined as a "resident" for CU Boulder. If a person wants to be considered a resident by the Fall of 2018, the law says he must have moved there no later than August 23, 2017. It's even earlier if he wants to register for the Summer 2018. You can find their guidelines if you click here.

I had a client once who I tried to get residency and in my experience, the schools are very strict on this. So, even if you are true-blue CO citizens, for the purposes of attending CU Boulder, it really depends on when you move there; not the actions you take after your move or how much you disregard your old place of residence.

Regardless, once residency is established, he should petition the school to have him admitted as a resident, thus reducing the amount he would owe as a student.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Do you have a statutory citation for the August 23, 2107 date? Are you saying that if he and I move to Colorado after that date we absolutely cannot be Colorado residents, even if we have no residence elsewhere? When could he become a resident for tuition purposes?

Actually, I provided the link directly to the CU Boulder website so you can see it straight from the horse's math. And yes, anyone who moves after 8/23/2017 won't be a resident for the upcoming semester. They'll have to wait and petition to be a resident at a later date, even if you have no residence elsewhere. Depending on when you move, it could be either Spring 2019 (1/13/2018 move date) or Summer 2019 (5/12/2018).

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?