Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

The department the Department of Education took my 2017

Customer Question
The department the Department...

The department the Department of Education took my 2017 taxes but will not update my credit report showing that I only have one loan and not several loans they say I have to wait until I make 9 payments in order to get out of repayment loan forgiveness program

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

The state of Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you spoken to a local attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?

Just I just want my credit report to show that I have one loan and not for long with the Department of Education when I'm making payments on the loan already

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And a transgender in a disabled veteran

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Education Law
3/20/2018
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If your credit report is showing incorrect loan amounts or they are showing loans that do not exist, then you need to write the credit bureau and attach proof that there is only one loan and not several. As far as the DOE changing the reports, they are correct that under their forbearance policy they do not make any reports until 9 agreed upon payments are made.

If they refuse to show only the one loan and correct your credit report, then you have no choice but to sue them for incorrectly reporting your loans to get a court order to force them to correct the matter.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.