Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

I have just been disciplined for "retaliation" by making a…

I have just been disciplined...
I have just been disciplined for "retaliation" by making a negative comment about a student's complaint. The comment was made in the closed-access adjunct faculty faculty office. The student had already dropped the class before the complaint was filed. The complaint contained falsehoods and exaggerations. The questions is: Does this definition of retaliation, i.e. ruminating about the validity of a student's complaint rise to the level of retaliation? Does a publicly-owned community college have the leeway to redefine retaliation beyond what is described in the Dept. of Education's definition of retaliation?
3/19/2018
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

A statement that you think a student's complaint is b*ll (or equally creative wording) is an OPINION. It literally has NOTHING to do with retaliation. You are entitled to you opinion about the validity of the complaint. You presumably did nothing to or against the student - so there is no retaliation. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent

Thanks so much for your rating!

And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent