Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My son can not continue to study for his high school because…

My son can not continue...
My son can not continue to study for his high school because of his anxiety. The school not allowed him to rest for one year.
So he will be dropped out from high school. Can he get a high school diploma from community college or other place, Does he still has the chance to go to college? What is GED, Can he got that. He has one SAT score. Please give help to desperate child and parent. Thank you very much!
3/17/2018
Dan Hodgkinson

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - Do you want information on how he can go to college or do you want to bring an action against his high school?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi how are you. Thank you very much for help!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can I do?

If you would like him to go to college and not worry about a potential suit against the high school - There will be GED prep classes offered at your local community college. He will need to enroll in one of those classes and pass the GED exam at the end of the course. Although the GED test represents less of a time commitment than a high school diploma, it's not academically easier. The test is graded on an equivalency scale compared to current high school students. To pass, test takers must perform on a level comparable to or above 60% of high school seniors.

After passing the exam - he can apply to colleges just like he graduated high school. There is no difference in the eyes of a college recruiter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much!

can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But my son already 18 years old, can he still get GED?

Yes he can - no age limit or requirement on the GED course

Dan Hodgkinson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But are there any chance he can get a high school diploma anymore?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I heard high school diploma need to get degree, the deadline is 21 years old.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I rated you as five stars. Thank you very much.

Yes - he can still get his high school diploma until the age of 21

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where can he get it if he is dropped out, from some online high school?

I am only allowed to answer one question per thread - if you want to continue asking questions you can accept this answer and message me directly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or transfer to other high school?
Dan Hodgkinson
Dan Hodgkinson
Dan Hodgkinson