Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My Autistic child was verbally abused in the school by her…

Customer Question
My Autistic child was...

My Autistic child was verbally abused in the school by her aide. Can I put hidden video and audio on to ensure it nevers happens to her again?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Without anyones consent

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told by a board of education employee that the aide would not b replaced more than once

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Education Law
I want this woman nowhere near my child. How can I make sure these people never violate my rights or tell me an aide isnt getting replavced when I want it done by someone who is qualified to work with her without yelling at her, calling her a liar and a cry baby or wtf else ever has been happing. Can I get to see the camera surveillance they have cameras.
I need help and idk what I can do legally about it. I have video of them not providing a replacement aid or needed accommodations
I want legal representation. I have another meeting w the principle on Monday. I want to let them know I want a restraining order from this person....the aide for my childs mental well being.
Idk if I can figure out how to upload the video but I will try if it helps.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am physically disabled so a phone call would be less painful for me
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry for the delay you experienced, the experts of this site have no control over when questions appear on our lists, as we are not employees of the site. I apologize for the delay.

Here is the issue with you putting a camera or audio on your child. Under OH law, it only requires consent of one party, you for your child, to record conversations. However, there is also the law called Federal Education Records Privacy Act, which protects the privacy of other students in the classroom, so if you record any interaction with those students that could be an issue (unless you erase all of those interactions).

The school does not have to share their surveillance video with you, it is owned by the school, unless you sue the school for intentional infliction of emotional distress on your child for allowing this aide to verbally attack and abuse your child.

So, if the school does not remove the aide from your child, your next step is a local attorney and suing the school and the aide for intentional infliction of emotional distress and you can get a local attorney at the same site used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.