Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

Is there an open records act so that I could look at my

Customer Question
personnel file anytime I want...
Is there an open records act so that I could look at my personnel file anytime I want to. I work at a elementary school and I want to look in my file and I'm trying to find out what is in there.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Education Law
3/9/2018
Education lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under Louisiana law, the public records law does not cover personnel files. There is no right of an employee in LA to force the employer to allow the employee to examine their personnel file. The personnel file belongs to the employer, including government employer's like schools, and as such the employer can prevent anyone from looking in the files.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

ok I talked to you yesterday regarding some Louisiana educational questions. I have a doctors note that I will give to my employer at the school concerning my health conditions can she deny this and fire me
Also can I have your name and where your from?

Thank you for your reply.

You did not talk to me, you spoke with another expert. We do not give our names for privacy reasons as we are not allowed to represent anyone from this site. I am a licensed Louisiana attorney from New Orleans, but legally I cannot and do not represent you.

You asked about personnel files, I answered you above about personnel files.

You are now going into your ADA rights, which is a different topic.

Under the ADA, if you have a PERMANENT DISABILITY, meaning one that permanently impairs a major life function, the employer has to give you "reasonable accommodations" as may be needed for you to perform your job. Reasonable accommodation does not have to be the exact one you ask for, just any reasonable accommodation to allow you to do your job. If the employer refuses, then you make a complaint to the EEOC for violation of your rights under the ADA.

does any of the lawyers on here ever represent people that they talk to? Also the employer has written me up and I have to sign the document. Can I ask to take it to a lawyer to make sure that there is nothing in the letter that will incriminate me?
Sorry I ask a question you have already answered about representing me

Thank you for your reply.

State law forbids us from representing anyone from this site, this is in exchange for allowing us to provide information to customers to help educate them to the laws and rights. This is explained in the terms of service that customers click on agreeing to before they post their questions as well.

You have to sign the document, you cannot take it to a lawyer first. Your signature is NOT an admission of guilt, it is an acknowledgment you received the letter.

In examining your account history, I see you have taken answers and have not left positive feedback for anyone who assisted you. This means that none of the experts who assisted you get any credit for spending time with you. This can lead to other experts refusing to assist you in the future as well.

Thank you for your reply.