Education Law

Education law questions? Ask an education lawyer

My son is a freshman in college and we need to figure out…

Customer Question
My son is a freshman...
My son is a freshman in college and we need to figure out how to get money for him to continue his education. We have done financial aid, taken out a parent plus loan. I'm not sure what else is out there, scholarships are hard to come by.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Education Law
3/6/2018
Education lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

I wanted to provide some thoughts on some additional resources that you could pursue, but first wanted to see where you were located.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oklahoma

There are several other options that could be considered.

I always encourage people to look at a variety of scholarship resources. In addition to the university scholarships, there are often local scholarships from civic groups, non-profits, associations or the like. Usually local schools can be a resource for this as well as general local internet searches.

Campus employment or work study is a common approach to offset school expenses that allow for students to work around their classes to help pay for school.

While some people do not like to consider military options, there are ROTC scholarships available that could be pursued.

As well, in the last few years there have been a variety of peer-to-peer online funding options that have become popular for college educational expenses. Also people have had success at crowdfunding for college expenses. The crowdfunding is very dependent on marketing and social media exposure, but some have had very good success with this.

As well there are a variety of grants that can be pursued.

I would also consider talking to the financial aid office again with a focus on need and merit based scholarships.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there were anymore questions related to this with which I could help?

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer